Out of sight, out of mind.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
LTO
Expatriate

Re: Out of sight, out of mind.

Post by LTO »

commercial
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Obvious, really. Thanks.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

General Mackevili wrote:
LTO wrote:Seems their rounding up CSWs too
Now I'm starting to get irritated.

Does it say where they rounded them up from?
If I were betting I'd guess Wat Phnom... isn't that where they usually strike first?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

They must have cast the net fairly wide, I haven't seen anyone working the streets near GSM, City Mall, Olympic Stadium or Toul Tom Poung over the past few days. Saw one old grandfather outside V-Tech Computers on Tuesday, that's it.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Very concerning news in the Daily today re the round-up:
But as of Wednesday afternoon, the government’s statistics on the roundup were grossly inconsistent with its partner NGOs, and with those of local rights group Licadho, which has been monitoring the effort and says more than 70 people had disappeared from the city’s streets.

“Just 36 people so far have been rounded up,” said City Hall spokesman Long Dimanche, by comparison.

“They were already sent to Pour un Sourire d’Enfant,” he said.

Truckloads of vagrants—including women, children and the elderly—were loaded into trucks Monday. Mr. Dimanche said 33 of the 36 were collected on that first day of the blitz.

However, Pin Sarapich, program director at Pour un Sourire d’Enfant, said City Hall’s claim that 36 people had been taken to his NGO was false...

Am Sam Ath, technical supervisor at Licadho... counted 70 or more people who had disappeared from Phnom Penh’s streets since City Hall announced the round up.

He said the discrepancies in the numbers raised fears about the fate of those who were unaccounted for.

“We are looking for them because we suspect those street people could have been sent to Prey Speu Social Affairs Center,” he said, referring to the notorious vocational training center in Pur Senchey district that has come under heavy criticism for allegations of abuse.

http://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/ngos- ... ess-61193/
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Noticed last night that all the folk that have been living on the street the museum is on were gone and the ones that were on the closed road beside the palace too.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Article in today's PPP saying "More 'undesirables' in city's sights. No link unfortunately.

It goes on to say that they are going on to target more street sellers and beggars and that this was to ensure safety on the streets, combat human trafficking and to make the city more attractive.

Well, this is wonderful news, tackling the underprivileged whilst ignoring the drug dealing Tuk Tuks and Motodops that hound you along the river front, the fake monks ripping off dumb tourists, the Filipino scammers and that Motodop that offers young girls.

Last night I took a walk along the river area and was approached by at least 6 Tuk Tuks, several of the touts outside of restaurants and several Motodops all offering drugs, a Filipino woman asked me where I bought my shirt (I didn't want to engage), and the smiling fake monk was taking money from foreigners sitting in the restaurants.

Oh yeah, and some fuck in a late model, white Audi screamed up the road with his horn blaring putting everybody at risk.

I am just relieved to know that these 'undesirables' are going to be cleaned up.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Follow up from my previous post.

This evening I walked along the river front and when I came to the section where the play equipment is I spotted this unkempt guy wanking off. Yes, wanking off in public where children were playing and folk were exercising! It was 6.15pm so still quite light. I've never seen that before in my life anywhere, so was just a bit shocked. He was fully exposed for all the world to see. I looked around to see if there were any of the security guys around - there weren't. Quite a few folk were looking.

I did think about taking his photo, but to be honest, it is not something I really want to see again.

I do wonder if the 'undesirables' along the river might be a better starting point.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

^LMAO!

I would have liked to see the picture (for the shock value, of course).
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

Good to see that you're getting in touch with your inner self General, it's a courageous stance to take on a public forum !

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. We're a tolerant bunch :plus1:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic