Honda Wave vs. Honda Dream....

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Raybull
Expatriate

Re: Honda Wave vs. Honda Dream....

Post by Raybull »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Why are you buying the bike? Is it for you, or one of your girlfriends? If I'm not mistaken, your only here 4 months per year or so, so you should consider bike storage and all that. A drained battery every time you get back, corrosion (unless you properly drain fuel and prep the carb). Seems like a lot of trouble if not being driven year round. Rental or used might be a better alternative.
im here 6-8 months of the year, 4 months in England, this time i may stick around longer,
i dont mind renting a brand new Airblade, but id prefer a geared bike now
hence this topic

now rental bikes have all had to get plated up/registered and what not, renting bikes isnt as cheap as it used to be either
Lots of unplated rental airblades around still, difference in price might 10$ a month for a plated one. You can buy the newer style plated '14 Viet airblade for 12-1300$ I think. No luck on finding any new/used Wave 125i out here though, just saw some Wave S 100s around today. I'll let you know if something shows up though by PM.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
im here 6-8 months of the year, 4 months in England, this time i may stick around longer,
i dont mind renting a brand new Airblade, but id prefer a geared bike now
hence this topic
Why don't you buy yourself one of these MCX then ? Perfect re-salable, high sex appeal, real gears, small displacement bike for the shorties.
:horse:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i aint got my heart set on a wave or dream, just curious
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I've never heard of links being removed from a bike's chain. If you've reached maximum adjustment, you change it. How's the wear on sprockets? My 450cc dirtbike eats around 2-3 high quality chain and sprocket sets per year. Luckily the scooter barely eats sprockets up, but I'd also be changing it after 10-15 000k... Removing links is downright stupid considering the price. I doubt the power of a 110cc would be enough to make a hole in your cases when the chain snaps, but why wait?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

Post by LionsLeftTesticle »

Can I ask why people like geared bikes instead of fully automatic?

I remember renting my first geared bike. Swapped it for an automatic within an hour.

Did I miss something?
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I've never heard of links being removed from a bike's chain. If you've reached maximum adjustment, you change it. How's the wear on sprockets? My 450cc dirtbike eats around 2-3 high quality chain and sprocket sets per year. Luckily the scooter barely eats sprockets up, but I'd also be changing it after 10-15 000k... Removing links is downright stupid considering the price. I doubt the power of a 110cc would be enough to make a hole in your cases when the chain snaps, but why wait?

The bigger the torque/engine size the more chains and sprockets you will go through. Especially if you have them badly aligned.
In the 70's I used to take the chain off every few thousand - put it in gasoline and scrub it with a toothbrush - rinse in clean gasoline bath -then place in a pan of hot lube.
Things have moved on since then, but Dan's reckons you should still lube even the o-ring chains every time you fill-up.
My sprockets are still OK and the Wave has a good solid chain guard in front of the front sprocket.

Anyhow, you're still making me para, so - any idea where I can buy genuine Honda parts in Cambodia? If not, how about a good Jap/ Thai replacement?
I should imagine the Honda ones will set me back around $100 though.

http://www.dansmc.com/rearchain.HTM
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

LionsLeftTesticle wrote:Can I ask why people like geared bikes instead of fully automatic?

I remember renting my first geared bike. Swapped it for an automatic within an hour.

Did I miss something?
some people prefer eating take away, others cooking the real thing
some people prefer fucking sex dolls, others fucking the real thing
etc.

nothing wrong with automatic bikes and cars, i can see the appeal, but for me its a much more fun experience riding/driving a geared bike/car
its not too bad if its an Airblade with a 4 stroke engine, but some of the hairdryers that are about... i just couldnt

these was my first bikes at 16 years old
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Then you need a clutch geared bike, the semi auto won't bring you satisfaction.
Again you should consider an MCX. I have a feeling Raybull will approve since he thinks it's a good bike.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:Then you need a clutch geared bike, the semi auto won't bring you satisfaction.
Again you should consider an MCX. I have a feeling Raybull will approve since he thinks it's a good bike.
yes not complete satisfaction, but simplicity if ive had a few sherberts that evening
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Juansweet, just go to the official dealer on Monivong. Cheap parts and everything is done as per the manual. Very legit and well organized.

As for semi autos, you get way more control with them. This generally translates to better acceleration and going up hills is easier. There's also engine braking, which I personally really like because it's safer. A fully clutched bike gives you even more control as you can pull in or release as little or much clutch as you want.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic