"Careless'' garment worker gets shocked, causes mass fainting.

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 25927
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 1033
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

"Careless'' garment worker gets shocked, causes mass fainting.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:46 pm

A garment worker who received an electric shock from her machine is called "careless" by the trade union president. The factory concerned is not sanctioned for use of faulty electrical equipment. An anonymous union member has suggested that the equipment at Horizon Outdoor's Kampong Chhnang factory should be checked for technical malfunctions. Conditions for garment workers remain difficult, and the faintings continue.

Staff Faint after Colleague Shock
Almost 20 garment workers from the Horizon Outdoor factory in Kampong Chhnang province’s Chamkar Svay village fainted yesterday after watching one of their co-workers get an electric shock when they turned on their sewing machines to start work for the day.

Nen Saron, the president of the Free Trade Union of Workers (FTU), went to meet the 19 people who fainted at 8:30am yesterday.

The workers, he said, are relieved to be back home after receiving medical treatment.

“The workers got electrically shocked because they were careless when they turned on the sewing machines,” he said.

Administrative representatives for Horizon Outdoor did not respond to requests for comment.

But the National Social Security Fund (NSSF) said on Facebook that garment worker Thoung Sreynea was shocked when the machines were turned on, causing 18 other women to faint.

According to an FTU official, this is the second time that a worker at the Horizon Outdoor factory has suffered an electric shock since 2015, when 30 people fainted in a similar situation...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/33236/ ... gue-shock/
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
User avatar
hanno
Expatriate
Posts: 4598
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 12:37 pm
Reputation: 1033
Location: Siem Reap
Contact:
Germany

Re: "Careless'' garment worker gets shocked, causes mass fainting.

Post by hanno » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:31 pm

Jesus, they faint because they see someone get shocked? They must faint every time they travel on KoW's roads and see the carnage....
User avatar
Kuroneko
Expatriate
Posts: 3414
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 11:18 am
Reputation: 591

Re: "Careless'' garment worker gets shocked, causes mass fainting.

Post by Kuroneko » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:49 pm

"But the National Social Security Fund (NSSF) said on Facebook that garment worker Thoung Sreynea was shocked when the machines were turned on, causing 18 other women to faint."

The TPFWI are part of the NSSF hopefully they are on to it! The TEAM FOR PREVENTION OF FAINTNESS AND WORK INJURY (TPFWI). In 2015,TPFWI investigated and took corrective actions on the enterprises/establishments with workers’ faintness as well as disseminating activities, for example:

Physical Issues
-
Short circuit on the ceiling
-
Short circuit caused the workers to get an electric shock from the sewing machine directly (no workers were fainted, just only fear)

Corrective Measures for Employers
To ensure health protection and work safety, particularly in the case of workers’faintness, TPFWI went to investigate the causes and took urgent actions on the owners of enterprises/establishments to make improvements so as to gaining the harmonization in workplace by urging for the following improvement:

Physical Problems
-
Prepare and check the electric wire
-
Fix the sewing machine to prevent short circuit in order to avoid electrocuting workers during work.

REPORT ON THE ANNUAL ACHIEVEMENTS IN 2015 AND ACTION PLANS OF TEAM FOR PREVENTION OF FAINTNESS AND WORK INJURY (TPFWI)

http://www.nssf.gov.kh/default/wp-conte ... alised.pdf
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 9349
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 1273
Tokelau

Re: "Careless'' garment worker gets shocked, causes mass fainting.

Post by Anchor Moy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:54 pm

Physical Problems
-
Prepare and check the electric wire
-
Fix the sewing machine to prevent short circuit in order to avoid electrocuting workers during work.
Excellent idea. :thumb: Some basic safety measures for workers so they don't get shocked and faint or whatever because of faulty wiring.
User avatar
Username Taken
Raven
Posts: 10284
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Reputation: 1736
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: "Careless'' garment worker gets shocked, causes mass fainting.

Post by Username Taken » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:54 pm

From the OP:

"Almost 20 garment workers . . . fainted"

"the 19 people who fainted"

"causing 18 . . . to faint."


And the truth is? One or two fainted?
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
User avatar
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Posts: 2776
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:49 am
Reputation: 423
Location: Sihanoukville
Korea North

Re: "Careless'' garment worker gets shocked, causes mass fainting.

Post by cptrelentless » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:09 pm

Quick jolt with the faulty wiring should get all the fainters back up and working again.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate
Posts: 2810
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:32 pm
Reputation: 260

Re: "Careless'' garment worker gets shocked, causes mass fainting.

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:18 pm

I do find it weird how often and easily the ladies working in garment factories seem to faint. However, I don't see how anyone can get an electric shock from a sewing machine unless it's downright faulty and has terrible wiring.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andy1, Bing [Bot], bittermelon, CEOCambodiaNews, Deefer, Gator, GMJS-CEO, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], IraHayes, Jerry Atrick, LIVIDZX, MarkRobinson, pissontheroof, Sweet Lemon and 529 guests