Cambodia's Clean City Contest !

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia's Clean City Contest !

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Clean Cities for Tourists
Cambodia has listed seven cities as entrants for the Asean Clean Tourism City Competition which will be held next month, Tourism Minister Thong Khon announced yesterday.

Neb Samouth, director general at the Ministry of Tourism, said Cambodia has selected Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Kampot, Kep, Sihanoukville, Battambang, and Kampong Cham for the clean tourism city competition because these cities got top scores in the National Clean City Competition.

“The result will be released in January 2018 in Bangkok, while Thailand hosts the Asean tourism ministers meeting,” said Mr. Samouth.
“It is the first time that Asean has held the Tourism Clean City Competition. For Cambodia however it is the second of its type, after the Clean City Awards in 2013,” he added.

According to Mr. Samouth, the criteria for judging the clean tourism city will be much stricter than for the clean city.

Judging would be on a points system based on seven criteria, including environmental friendliness, safety and security, and infrastructure...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/33100/ ... -tourists/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Volunteer Cleanups to Receive Boost From Website, Contest
August 4, 2017
The Tourism Ministry will introduce a website and contest—currently dubbed Mr. Clean City—later this month to better coordinate volunteer cleanup projects, but organizers worry the waste they collect won’t reach a proper disposal site.

The Cambodia Cleanup website and competition, to start on August 24, are designed to encourage youth groups, NGOs and companies to organize community cleanup projects throughout Cambodia, Huot Rithy, director of the ministry’s clean city department, said in a meeting on Thursday.

In Phnom Penh, volunteer cleanup groups must get approval from district-level officials before proceeding, City Hall spokesman Met Measpheakdey said.
“We cannot just allow all requests though,” he said. “We have to consider other factors like topic, location, timing, and method of conducting, too.”

Once a volunteer group registers a cleanup event on the web platform, the date will be submitted to local officials for approval, streamlining the previous process, Mr. Rithy said.

In February, three or four teams will be rewarded for their cleanup efforts and raising awareness, and residents’ participation in the contest will contribute to each district and city’s standing in the existing national Clean City competition, Mr. Rithy said...

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/volu ... st-133222/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

"but organizers worry the waste they collect won’t reach a proper disposal site".
Don't tell me that the organizers are concerned the volunteer's may cash in the plastic bottles.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:39 pm Clean Cities for Tourists
Cambodia has listed seven cities as entrants for the Asean Clean Tourism City Competition which will be held next month, Tourism Minister Thong Khon announced yesterday.

Neb Samouth, director general at the Ministry of Tourism, said Cambodia has selected Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Kampot, Kep, Sihanoukville, Battambang, and Kampong Cham for the clean tourism city competition because these cities got top scores in the National Clean City Competition.

“The result will be released in January 2018 in Bangkok, while Thailand hosts the Asean tourism ministers meeting,” said Mr. Samouth.
“It is the first time that Asean has held the Tourism Clean City Competition. For Cambodia however it is the second of its type, after the Clean City Awards in 2013,” he added.

According to Mr. Samouth, the criteria for judging the clean tourism city will be much stricter than for the clean city.

Judging would be on a points system based on seven criteria, including environmental friendliness, safety and security, and infrastructure...
Haha. We won !
Three Cambodian cities named among the cleanest in Asean
Three Cambodian cities – Battambang, Kep and Siem Reap – received the Asean clean tourism award at the Asean Tourism Forum 2018, held in Chiang Mai, Thailand, on Friday.
The distinction places the Cambodian cities in an exclusive 23-member group of the cleanest cities in the Asean region, and is proof that they adhere to Asean’s standards for city cleanliness
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/50105168/th ... -in-asean/

Truth is really stranger than fiction, but I wonder how come Sihanoukville didn't make the cut. :( There's so much dust from construction that you can't see the rubbish anymore. Looks fine.
SockPuppet
Expatriate
Honduras

Post by SockPuppet »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:58 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:39 pm Clean Cities for Tourists

Haha. We won !
Three Cambodian cities named among the cleanest in Asean
Three Cambodian cities – Battambang, Kep and Siem Reap – received the Asean clean tourism award at the Asean Tourism Forum 2018, held in Chiang Mai, Thailand, on Friday.
The distinction places the Cambodian cities in an exclusive 23-member group of the cleanest cities in the Asean region, and is proof that they adhere to Asean’s standards for city cleanliness
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/50105168/th ... -in-asean/

Truth is really stranger than fiction, but I wonder how come Sihanoukville didn't make the cut. :( There's so much dust from construction that you can't see the rubbish anymore. Looks fine.
WOW :bow:
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by james1234 »

I was a little suprised about the sarcasm about the clean city award for Siem Reap. :shock:

I was in SR and PP in 2016 and have been in Thailand and Malasya and one of the things I like about these countries the relative cleanness for these third world countries.
Have you aver been in African countries like Gambia or South American countries? That is rubbish, all over the place. I hate it. Even in Belgium and France is a lot of rubbish, cleaner countries are Netherlands, Germany, UK and Scandiavian countries.

I just took a look at my pictures and saw hardly any rubbish. So for me SR and PP deserve there awards and I also believe that Cambodia will develop and infrastructure will be better, but I hope that the Khmer people will not change too much in the wrong direction. I have faith!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

james1234 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:09 pm

I just took a look at my pictures and saw hardly any rubbish. So for me SR and PP
I must be living in a different Siem Reap. The one I live in is a dump in many places.

james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by james1234 »

If you call that rubbish, You have not been in africa! All the roads, yes all the roads are full with rubbish. It is unbelievable if you have not seen it with your own eyes!

And this is just Belgium!

I just looked at my pictures from SR and think it is cleaner than Africa, South America and parts of Belgium and France!
I can make your pictures here in Belgium too, no problem.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

james1234 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:30 am If you call that rubbish, You have not been in africa!
I actually grew up in Africa and not all of Africa is dirty like that. Some of those pictures were obviously taken in slums; the slums here are no cleaner.

And Belgium is not a good example as it is the dirtiest European country I have been.
SockPuppet
Expatriate
Honduras

Post by SockPuppet »

james1234 wrote:If you call that rubbish, You have not been in africa! All the roads, yes all the roads are full with rubbish. It is unbelievable if you have not seen it with your own eyes!

And this is just Belgium!

I just looked at my pictures from SR and think it is cleaner than Africa, South America and parts of Belgium and France!
Award was for asean, not asean and africa
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic