The Price of Tea in China

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Tips for mosquito bites

Post by StroppyChops »

Sailorman wrote:I have friends that invite me to Bar-B-Qs to keep the mosquitos off everyone else.
LOL! Where we come from you can buy a modified peizzo (sp?) igniter to zap the bite, does the same thing.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I'm waiting for flying drones to get small enough to chase/kill mosys. Or computer guided laser beam machine to zap them at Bar-B-Qs.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Sailorman wrote: Or computer guided laser beam machine to zap them at Bar-B-Qs.
Phonetic Fence. It can kill up to 50 to 100 mosquitoes a second.

The frustrating part is the dev company that made it doesn't seem to really be doing a lot with moving it past prototype and has zero interest in licensing it out. I contacted them with a legitimate concept for building it out using much lighter hardware with lower power needs that could be built to use solar charging in the day to run it at night... in countries like this and Uganda it would work great for decreasing mosquito population by placing them in marshy areas to kill them off.

It's primary criticism is that the countries that need it don't have good access to electricity, but on solar it could run until it's nearly drained then go into standby until it's recharged in the daylight for use again next night. Even if it's only able to run for 4 hours on the batteries, at 50 mozzies a second that would be 14,000 a night per unit... pretty good numbers really. in a high risk area running 3 of those with that result would remove 1.2 million mosquitos a month from the area.
Tim Linkinwater
Expatriate

Post by Tim Linkinwater »

What a brilliant thing.
I can't see the clip for some reason, so have to imagine what it's like. You could stick it round/over a fish farm: free feed as well as the pleasure of watching the bastards die.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Tim Linkinwater wrote:What a brilliant thing.
I can't see the clip for some reason, so have to imagine what it's like. You could stick it round/over a fish farm: free feed as well as the pleasure of watching the bastards die.
:beer3:

To bad their being tight with the design specs/software and letting the project stagnate.

I would like to make a port of it that would run on old android phones, then there would be a use for them after they're "obsolete" that could really do some good. Low power consumption, decent processing capability, IO port... everything you need for a "core" of one of those units.
indigo_design
Expatriate

Post by indigo_design »

You can use an ordinary lighter.

Just light it for 5 seconds so the metal gets hot (but not too hot) and push it against the bite.

Apparently it breaks down the protien that causes the itching.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

indigo_design wrote:Apparently it breaks down the protien that causes the itching.
I believe that's what the shock of the peizzo igniter does, too. Personally I'd rather use heat.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Tim Linkinwater
Expatriate

Post by Tim Linkinwater »

OrangeDragon wrote:
Tim Linkinwater wrote:What a brilliant thing.
:beer3:

To bad their being tight with the design specs/software and letting the project stagnate.

I would like to make a port of it that would run on old android phones, then there would be a use for them after they're "obsolete" that could really do some good. Low power consumption, decent processing capability, IO port... everything you need for a "core" of one of those units.
You have the cut of an evil genius, young fella m' lad. I'd be very interested in this....lemme know if you get any further with info. I can see a whole aquaponics set up with this at the head.

One little thing (don't want to pull the thread off topic). How come I can't watch clips on this site? They just show as sort of washed-out white.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

StroppyChops wrote:Apparently there is recent science that explains why mosquitoes are attracted to some people but not others, I'll see if I can find it.
They avoid stressed-out people.

They avoid unhealthy people.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Username Taken wrote:
flying chicken wrote:Look man, call me troll or whatever. I am just bored.What else am I suppose to do at 11pm, other than fucking around with you guys online. Well, I gone overboard, but you pretentious people are not forgiven.
FC, you're a good poster when you're thinking straight.
FC never thinks straight! That's the beauty of his posts! He and Florida should have a love child! I really oppose his banning, he's great!

Way better than someone like pansyinasia, a pseudo-wannabe-social climber/intellectual pretender!
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic