Monkey Mark's Revisited

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Monkey Mark's Revisited

Post by rozzieoz »

Anchor Moy wrote:
rozzieoz wrote:We have heard that Dan Meats has good steak - everything else we've had from there has been great. We will test and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have u tried their beef sausages ? :thumb:
Also the best ham I've found so far in SV.
Sausages are awesome! We buy our ham from there, it's yum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: Monkey Mark's Revisited

Post by Sailorman »

Mr. C: At the time of the Chili off(s) at CH, Toni and I were not the best of friends (RIP Tony.)

User: You are going towards the Golden Lyons Circle on the main road. You have just passed KFC/Lucky-Ocean supermarket on your left. Just to your right will be a side road (just past the school). Take a right and go down and the road makes a 90 degree to the right. Half-way down the block on the left will be a green metal fence with a small sign that says Missing Monkey. Welcome to Monkey Marks, he opens after 4:30pm.

As to me finding MM. I don't get out as much as I used to (I love where I live, set myself up with a lot of projects , and am 3 min. walk to the beach. Why would want to go set in a bar all day like many my age? ) I had heard about MM for a long time and it took me awhile to go find it even though I had passed it many times. His sign is so small and its kind of a hidden bar/restaurant. The steak was a real find and brings me back, and the place is really laid-back. Love the micro-brew Ale also.

On Dan's Meats Sihanoukville "fillet" steak. (the ones in the cryo-packaging.) I buy them all the time to make a grilled "London Broil" with mushroom gravy or teriyaki beef with ginger, soy sauce, brown suger, onions. Having run restaurants/kitchens in restaurants I recognize what these "fillets" were the first time I saw them. They are beef sphincter muscle, you know the muscle that opens and closes the sphincter. It is a very overlooked cut of meat due to where it comes from on the cattle. Its nice and tender with small fat content. I used to run the kitchen in the biggest Mexican restaurant in the Pacific Northwest of America(early '70s) and I used this cut of beef for taco meat. I'd have my cooks marinate 50 to 100lb in Mexican spices, char-gill the outside and then roast it in an oven with spices. When cooled they would use a commercial chopping machine called a "buffalo" (Hobart brand) to chop it up. Great taco filling.

I also buy sliced ham at Dan's in Sihanoukville.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Sailorman wrote:User: You are going towards the Golden Lyons Circle on the main road. You have just passed KFC/Lucky-Ocean supermarket on your left. Just to your right will be a side road (just past the school). Take a right and go down and the road makes a 90 degree to the right. Half-way down the block on the left will be a green metal fence with a small sign that says Missing Monkey. Welcome to Monkey Marks, he opens after 4:30pm.
Thanks for the directions. I'll check it out next time I'm down that way. :thumb:
Sailorman wrote:As to me finding MM. I don't get out as much as I used to
Thanks, but I was asking about Monkey JIM.

Las-o balta.
Michael2002
Expatriate

Post by Michael2002 »

Looks good . The only way to order a steak imo is hot and tender . But you will end up a fat bastard if you eat too many,
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

TRUMP STEAK:

Another great monster steak, micro-brew-ale and port wine at Missing Monkey/Monkey Marks. This was doubly sweet in that it was free (to me). An expat friend from OZ who lives in Snookyville bet me that the Hildabeast would win and Trump would lose. God! I love being right, specially when a slimbag like Killary loses and I get a monster steak, ale and port wine out of it. "Its not if you won or lost, only that you won." Go President Elect Trump!
See! Trump is already doing great things for us Americans.

BTW, Mark has hung a lighted sign out front that says "Steak" which makes it much easier to find MM. Also, Mark has a rare (in Cambodia) bottle of Ron Zacapa Rum from Guatemala. (Sistama Solera 23). Real expensive by the shot, but you only go around once so try it. (I paid $100. for a bottle of it in OZ last year and was glad to get it.) In America I had a friend that traveled to Mexico a lot and he turned me on to this exceptional rum.

Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

The Bavarian will be having an all you can eat BBQ with NZ rib eye this Saturday. Check out their fb for details.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Raybull wrote:The Bavarian will be having an all you can eat BBQ with NZ rib eye this Saturday. Check out their fb for details.
Talking about this? The Bavarian New Zealand Ripeye Steak mit Kräuterbutter Bratkartoffeln und Salat NUR $ 7.50. My Germans not that good :? https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bava ... 9519305877

Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Saw that special last week, but had just eaten and it looked like s veritable feast. hopefully the AYCE BBQ will have similar cuts.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic