Magical Indian Swami with Tricks Up His Sleeve "Scamming" People in Sihanoukville

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Magical Indian Swami with Tricks Up His Sleeve "Scamming" People in Sihanoukville

Post by General Mackevili »

Doesn't sound like a scam. Sounds like you just need to tell this little gang of magicians to fuck off.

"I've been accosted by an Indian guy (with his friends) outside here a few times. It's a "mentalist" scam where they try and fleece you because they claim to be a visionary swami with "powers". He does some cold reading and sleight of hand prediction tricks, which are good, then he tries to extract a stupid amount of money from you. I gave him a dollar. "But I'm a Swami!" "No mate, you're a magician. Thanks for the show. ""
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Re: Magical Indian Swami with Tricks Up His Sleeve "Scamming" People in Sihanoukville

Post by boozyoldman »

" Swami! How I love ya!
How I love ya!
My dear old Swami!"

Peter Sellers
KickingWithRedLabel
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Magical Indian Swami with Tricks Up His Sleeve "Scamming" People in Sihanoukville

Post by KickingWithRedLabel »

On Sukhumvit the Indians would come up to me and tell me, "You are a very lucky man".
And I thought, who can't get lucky in Bangkok?
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

been in snooky for years now. seen them target (younger) girls in particular.
Watched it go down at a table next to me, I couldn't believe the girls
let the guy go through with it. Seemed like they had 'tourist decease' or something
like it was something to 'experience' in the KOW. silly.....

cheers

Bertros
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Years ago came across an Indian guy in Phnom Penh doing the same. Not sure why people bother "warning" each other about this. Just say no from the get-go or pay him what you think is appropriate and walk away.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

WARNING - dont stab yourself in the eye with a sharp implement, like a knife or javalin

regards from a dumbass
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

1. Ask the "Swami" if he can see into the future.

2. If he replies in the affirmative, hit him with a chair, bottle, beer mug, zimmer frame
or anything handy capable of inflicting pain.

3. Jeer at him and refute his claim to be able to see into the future.

NOTE: Only do this if you are conspicuously larger and fitter than the charlatan is,
or if you are accompanied by belligerent and tatooed Ozzies or Paddies.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i had one of these guys do that to me when i very first came out here, in bangkok, and then he wanted a 1000 baht, i told him to fuck off
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic