Finding stuff and ordering online

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
jrgilbert
Tourist

Finding stuff and ordering online

Post by jrgilbert »

Hello. I am brand new to this forum. The question I am going to ask has likely been ask a thousand times a thousand different ways, but here I go anyway. Ok. I just moved to Phnom Penh about 3 weeks ago. The question I have is finding things has been kind of a pain in the butt. Fortunately, I am staying with some Filipino expats that are holding my hand on many things, but the one thing they don't seem to know anything about is ordering or finding certain things. What am I talking about, ordering from Amazon.

Is there a Cambodian Amazon? Likely not, but if there is not one is there a regional one that maybe covers this side of the world. Again, if not do they deliver to Cambodia? I found this site through a google search that said they would handle all the logistics to ordering through Amazon and they would handle it all to get it delivered to Cambodia. However, I didn't see a price. There is no way they do all that for free.

Anyway, it's obvious my question. Do any of you shop online? (Btw, I know of Aliexpress, but they do not carry many of the things I am looking for like video games and video game systems). If you do shop online, where do you do it and how do you do it.

I am reasonably savvy, but this seems to be eluding me. It may be the easiest thing ever and I am making it hard. Any help would be so appreciated.

Plus, I would love to get to know some American expats here that are just normal people. I am not into the bar scene, or the sex scene, or any other thing like that. I am not looking down my nose at that, I am just saying I am not a partier or anything.

Thanks,
Sincerely,
John
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Finding stuff and ordering online

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I have purchased several things from Ebay and Alibaba and had no issues with any of my purchases being shipped / delivered to Cambodia. Most arrive within the stated time frame, some a week longer but I have had nothing go missing, yet.

As far as I know Amazon don't deliver to Cambodia, there are companies that offer to ship things from Amazon to Cambodia however I have never used these so cannot comment on the service offered.

What kinds of video games and / or systems are you looking for? Most can be purchased in Cambodia with limited hassle, why do you need to buy this stuff online?
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

I have ordered from ebay, discounthandaparts.com and gearbest.com over 35 times with no problems. Amazon has limited items that can be shipped to Cambodia. Be sure to have shipper include your local phone number (of a native khmer speaker is best) on the shipping label so they can contact you when it arrives.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

kiwiincambodia, beaker, do you both deliver to a home address, a business address, or a P.O. Box?
Is there a online tracking portal system? And is there a guarantee provision from Amazon or Ebay, that is: if a order doesn't arrive will they refund?
Cheers.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I just put my work address in.

Shipping can depend on the seller or you can pay for premium (for eBay) sometimes it is delivered to the office other times I have had to go pick it up from the post office.

Some of the sellers give you a tracking number to track but I think it depends on the shipper and seller.

Not sure about the refund thing as I have never had to use it and to be honest n bet bothered checking.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Three of my four first Aliexpress orders to my street address never arrived, so I now only buy items shipped by registered mail, so I recommend that. It's hit and miss if they deliver or if they call you to collect so make sure your phone number is in your address.

The main post office near Wat Phnom has PO Boxes available at the moment, only $12.50/year.
Last edited by timmydownawell on Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Rama wrote:kiwiincambodia, beaker, do you both deliver to a home address, a business address, or a P.O. Box?
Is there a online tracking portal system? And is there a guarantee provision from Amazon or Ebay, that is: if a order doesn't arrive will they refund?
Cheers.

Yes ebay has money back guarantee had an order not arrive and they made good easy and not a problem.
Tracking depends on how it's shipped.
I use my home address they call my wife when items arrive and i pick it up here at the local post-office in Ta Khmao.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

phone number MUST be written prominently on the package.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic