Australian Beef.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Popeye
Expatriate
Australia

Australian Beef.

Post by Popeye »

http://sln-australianmeat.com/

Tried a T'Bone steak the other night after 6 years not having eaten steak. Was tender and juicy.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Australian Beef.

Post by phuketrichard »

Oz beef ( as well as Lamb) is very popular here and not that expensive.
A 10oz Tbone steak at the supermarket is about $5
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I bought an OZ T-bone steak from the place by the bus parking lot in Snookyville. Absolute crap! It was frozen and when thawed it didn't smell good. It was half bone, thin and what meat was there was tough. Another place to cross off in Snookyville. Later I've heard other people talk about the smelly/bad meat from this place. Obviously thawing and refreezing bad cuts of meat and then advertising it as from OZ. On the meat quality scale (in America) I would rate it as utility or canner, which means its made to make hamburger meat or canned/cooked bully beef.
Michael2002
Expatriate

Post by Michael2002 »

So you eat the sacred cow ?
Dont you see all those big white Brahmin cows walking around . Too big and beautiful to kill for a fucking steak in my opinion . Stick to chicken .
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Beef, its what real men eat. Sacred to whom? Not to the restaurants around Snookyville that spit them whole. Yum! Although is a little off putting when you see them head down in a garbage can.
Michael2002
Expatriate

Post by Michael2002 »

Sacred to me . I thought "real" men ate dog . I guess its a cultural thing .
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Need to be a little bit more specific OP.
One of the best Ozzie steaks I have ever eaten, was a T-Bone from Lucky supermarket in PP that I cooked myself. Comparable to the best Brekkie Creek hotel T-Bone I have ever had and cost me $8.50 for 250 grams. And that is $4 less than what I paid at the Brekkie creek on my 18th birthday and that was a fukn LONG time ago! One of the worst I have ever eaten was from the new "butchers" shop that Sailorman talked about here in S/ville.
Take into account that the first was undoubtedly frozen somewhere along the line and the second was chopped off one of the Ozzie cows that was brought over here live. Also take into account that I used to own a shop next door to a fella called John Rakowski who was voted Brisbane's best Butcher for about 6 years running back in the '80's.
I know my beef, prefer T-bones to any other cut and this new live imported stuff is shit because it is literally butchered in the Khmer way - hacked off with a machete is my guess.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Popeye, how much and was it aged at all? And Which new butchers shop is this by the buses? Anyway, there's a lot of decent importers/distributors now in SHV, not as convenient as dropping by the grocery store in most cases but considerably better than a few years back. You've got Lee's, AusKhmer, RedRoo(khmer wholeesale), SLN, couple more I forget, and over half a dozen specialty meat guys doing their thing. Not bad really!
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Best cut? My opinion and its a cut from America is the "Porterhouse." Its just next to the T-bone in the cut. Still haven't found any steak in Cambodia better than the ones at Monkey Mark's in Snookyville. $15 for a 500+ gram steak with veg, mashed potato and bread. Top it off with a micro-brew Ale and I'm in heaven.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic