Kampot river cruise boat runs aground - 4 passengers dead.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Kampot river cruise boat runs aground - 4 passengers dead.

Post by taabarang »

Indeed CEO. There is the political/societal issue then there's the personal loss. I cannot fathom the pain of losing family members to an early and most likely preventable death.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Indeed CEO. There's the political/societal issue then there's the loss of loved ones. I cannot fathom dealing with the loss of a wife, son and mom in law in what appears to have been a highly preventable tragedy.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Missus got a FB message from her friend last night. Apparently her entire family was on that boat and that the mom was now dead. Hope the news was wrong. Please pray for them.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The identities of the deceased are confirmed here. The lack of safety precautions on the boat also.
According to Kampong Bay commune police chief Lim Sambo, three women and one boy – identified as 47-year-old Chin Ny, her 9-year-old son Sang Sokheng and 72-year-old mother Khan Yiv, as well as 62-year-old Sok Sokhom – were found dead after the boat, returning from watching fireflies, sank, presumably after hitting the riverbed.

According to Kampot provincial police chief Mao Chan Makthurith, the tour boat – designed to carry a maximum load of 50 to 60 passengers – carried 70 to 80 local tourists that day.

Twenty-four-year-old Yuos Chandarid, a relative of three of the deceased, said his father-in-law, a survivor of the accident, said there had been inadequate life vests on board.

“My father-in-law told me that he heard a bang sound, and water started entering the boat. People were running and fighting for life vests,” he said. “He looked for his wife and son but could not find them . . . he found his mother-in-law and dragged her to the lifeboat, but it was too late.”

“This is a huge loss for my family because we lost three family members. We want a proper explanation on what caused the accident,” he added.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/f ... boat-sinks
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The owner of the boat in question - who incidentally is not photographed wearing handcuffs.

Photos from Huy Bunleng FB.
Spoiler:
There is a third photo on FB showing the police pulling the child's body out of the water that I haven't posted here because I don't think it's right to show photos of dead kids. However, Khmer Times has chosen to put it on their front page news. It's probably in the Khmer news as well, but that doesn't make it acceptable. Also looks like one of those posed police photos :evil:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The Kampot boat owner who was responsible for running shoddy overloaded tourist boats, causing the deaths of four people, risks just 1-3 years prison. He will probably get off with a fine, enough for funeral charges. I can't imagine how the families feel about this.

Boat Owner, Captain Charged Over Drownings
November 18, 2016

The owner and captain of a Kampot City tourist boat that sank on Monday night, leaving four people dead in the Toek Chhou River, were charged with unintentional murder on Thursday, a court official said.

The owner, Sok Lim, 44, was charged for allowing too many passengers onto the boat, said Ek Chheng Huot, chief prosecutor of the Kampot provincial court. The boat’s skipper, Ros Smann, 50, was also charged on Thursday in absentia, he said.

Mr. Smann was still missing after swimming to shore and fleeing on foot when the two-story tourist boat struck the riverbed and sank at about 9:00 p.m. on Monday night, according to police.

If found guilty, both men face one to three years in prison and a fine of 2 to 6 million riel, or about $500 to $1,500...

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/boat ... gs-120710/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The only good thing to come out of this:
Provincial authorities announced on Wednesday that all tourist boats were suspended pending the formation of a new review committee that will ensure safety.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic