Phnom Penh Prepares for the Water Festival.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Phnom Penh Prepares for the Water Festival.

Post by John Bingham »

Bertros wrote:I don't know what's in that RV, but this guy was protecting it with some sort of machine gun (AK47?).

No it's a QBZ - 97B Assault Rifle, completely different design to any AK variant.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Crowd numbers are up after a disappointing start to the Water Festival. Phnom Penh City Hall estimates Sunday's attendance at between 600,000 to 700,000 people and between 1 million and 1.2 million for the second day.
But, more people means more rubbish, and who is responsible for dealing with it all ? The blame game begins:
Meanwhile, city officials took to social media to complain about mounting rubbish piles, sparking an online debate over who was actually to blame. Phnom Penh’s Department of Public Works and Transport yesterday seemed to point the finger at the public, saying on its Facebook page that employees had worked from midnight until 6:15am yesterday morning to clean up all the trash left over from the first day of celebrations.

“After the first day of the Water Festival, they [workers] noticed that rubbish is still a problem caused by some people who just throw it everywhere,” part of the post reads. The post, which as of yesterday evening had been “liked” 5,300 times and shared more than 7,000 times, also spurred almost 600 comments from people.

While many commenters blamed a lack of education and “bad habits”, others maintained that not enough waste receptacles – the municipality deployed 1,020 – had been placed around the city.

Sam Piseth, director of the Department of Public Works, declined to comment on whether it was the public or festival planners to blame for the trash problem.

Va Sim Soriya, spokesman for the Ministry of Public Works and Transport, said this is not the first time that people had complained about trash at Water Festivals, but maintained the city was responsible, not the ministry. He also declined to comment on whether the 1,020 trash bins were sufficient.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/t ... rowds-grow
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

The QBZ-97B is made by Norinco (who also make AK-47s.) A few years ago the Chinese gave a bunch of these and uniforms, motorcycle and maybe $$$ to HEs "body guard" unit in exchange for their support of the Chinese raping Ream Park. I first saw these a few years ago when I was stuck in traffic in PP as her unroyal majesty Killary Clinton was in town. I wonder how much and who paid her for the visit as the Hildabeast doesn't do anything unless money goes in her pocket? She must have felt right at home in Cambodia.

BTW/ Instead of using the standard Russian(combloc) ammo (7.62x39, 7.62x54r, 5.45x39) or Nato rounds (5.45x45, 7.62x51), the Chinese use a round(5.8x42) in these rifles that no one else uses. That way no one else on a battle field can pick one up and use their ammo in it, but also the Chinese can't use anyone else's ammo.(lucky for them there is a big supple of Chinese.) Plus the supply of ammo has to come from China. I would hope that these rifles are better quality than the jet fighter that China just built and is so bad that their Air Force refuses to buy it.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Username Taken wrote:Presumably it will finish later in the afternoon followed by a presentation by the King.

A fireworks display to close the day, and a sausage sizzle on the lawns in front of the palace. [That's why they had all those ice boxes for sale on the riverside].
Haha! I'm in :D
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

Username Taken wrote:Presumably it will finish later in the afternoon followed by a presentation by the King.

A fireworks display to close the day, and a sausage sizzle on the lawns in front of the palace. [That's why they had all those ice boxes for sale on the riverside].

yeah, these guys were real popular.

Dare I even ask what a 'sausage sizzle' is? hopefully it's nothing like a 'sausage fest'.

just sayin'

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

Sailorman wrote:The QBZ-97B is made by Norinco (who also make AK-47s.) A few years ago the Chinese gave a bunch of these and uniforms, motorcycle and maybe $$$ to HEs "body guard" unit in exchange for their support of the Chinese raping Ream Park. I first saw these a few years ago when I was stuck in traffic in PP as her unroyal majesty Killary Clinton was in town. I wonder how much and who paid her for the visit as the Hildabeast doesn't do anything unless money goes in her pocket? She must have felt right at home in Cambodia.

BTW/ Instead of using the standard Russian(combloc) ammo (7.62x39, 7.62x54r, 5.45x39) or Nato rounds (5.45x45, 7.62x51), the Chinese use a round(5.8x42) in these rifles that no one else uses. That way no one else on a battle field can pick one up and use their ammo in it, but also the Chinese can't use anyone else's ammo.(lucky for them there is a big supple of Chinese.) Plus the supply of ammo has to come from China. I would hope that these rifles are better quality than the jet fighter that China just built and is so bad that their Air Force refuses to buy it.
:tard:
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

Sailorman wrote:The QBZ-97B is made by Norinco (who also make AK-47s.) A few years ago the Chinese gave a bunch of these and uniforms, motorcycle and maybe $$$ to HEs "body guard" unit in exchange for their support of the Chinese raping Ream Park. I first saw these a few years ago when I was stuck in traffic in PP as her unroyal majesty Killary Clinton was in town. I wonder how much and who paid her for the visit as the Hildabeast doesn't do anything unless money goes in her pocket? She must have felt right at home in Cambodia.

:rambo:
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Bertros wrote:
Username Taken wrote:

Dare I even ask what a 'sausage sizzle' is? hopefully it's nothing like a 'sausage fest'.

just sayin'

Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

CEO BBQ at Kuroneko's house!!

Looks yummy.
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

Kuroneko wrote:
Bertros wrote:
Username Taken wrote:

just sayin'

looks very yummy indeed.

what did you say was the addy? :beer3:

cheers

A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic