Fake beer

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Fake beer

Post by cptrelentless »

I've had a number of people, who seem reasonably intelligent, tell me that there are fake Vietnamese copies of beer knocking about, specifically fake cans of Angkor of all things. Others on the list include fake Tiger, which might be slightly more plausible. Ganzberg doesn't count as that's definitely fake beer already.
Now I can understand collecting up old bottles of Jack Daniels and sticking industrial ethanol, water and some colouring in it, as you can sell that for actual money, and people stick coke with it, which masks the flavour, but I can't see anyone making a can of fake Angkor beer and getting a profit out of it without having a massive brewery, as it's about 1400 riel a can wholesale. I've had various differences in can printing pointed to as examples of bootlegs, so the fakers are supposedly printing and canning a beer product. With winning ring-pulls.

Has anyone drunk a can of fake beer? Not just a horrible warm can. I have been doing my best to investigate but every can I've had has tasted like Angkor, even ones I've bought off of ethnically Vietnamese people. If someone is making Angkor that tastes of Angkor, and has a canning plant and brewery, surely they can just sell their own beer?
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Fake beer

Post by SinnSisamouth »

did a bloke down the bar tell you that?
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

What a load of shit! Haha
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

It's obviously not Barangs telling me this, the guy next door works for the government and runs a wholesale booze business on the side, and he and his cronies from his department are all insistent this is true, including pointing out the bar codes. This is not the first time this has come up, either.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

''works for the government and runs a wholesale booze business on the side,

Interesting.

Fake beer. The US has been selling fake beer for generations. Fake an Angkor & Tiger? As you state. Why?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I can say that I have had my fair share of Angkor beers and cannot recall a single one taste shady. As you pointed: it doesn't make sense economically.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

cptrelentless wrote:It's obviously not Barangs telling me this, the guy next door works for the government and runs a wholesale booze business on the side, and he and his cronies from his department are all insistent this is true, including pointing out the bar codes. This is not the first time this has come up, either.
Could be another anti-Vietnamese rumour spread on social media ?
(Bastards are now poisoning our national beer.)
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

The Thai Chang and Leo bottles (don't see cans in bars so much there)that I presume were brewery rejects, often used to turn up in some of the small bars in Issan I drank at. They could sell a big Leo for less than 50baht. If you looked at the label the batch number was missing with sell by date. I once got an enormous hang over the next day from only 3 bottles. You tell me what reason they were rejected for, wrong SG, too much formaldehyde? But not destroyed, sold off cheap via the back door.
Never heard of that in Cambodia but..

Vaguely related; I once bought a can of fake WD40 in SHV main market. Same can as genuine (even had the 25%free print), smelt like engine oil thinned down with paraffin.
Heard the Viets copy Razor blades, toothpaste, sun block. Brake shoes, pads, DID chains and bearings seem to crop up quite a bit, bad quality, they last fraction of the genuine.
4000islandsguy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by 4000islandsguy »

I couldn't get past the been told be people fairly intelligent mark.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic