Civil contract marriage

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Civil contract marriage

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I'm told this can be done through any sangat without the need to prove income and other hoopla that regular marriage entails.

I am sceptical.

Anybody here enter into a civil contract or contract civille as the Khmer call it?

Pros? Cons? Bear traps?
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: Civil contract marriage

Post by Luigi »

:popcorn:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Not as a foreigner, only local couples can. Foreigners must go through the process with MoFAIC and MoI, or you could just have a ceremony and party, but the relationship will not be officially recognized.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

^

Most excellent news. Thanks!
oldfatbarang
Expatriate

Post by oldfatbarang »

My wife and I did it in 2001.Later I took the document to Thailand and had it translated into Thai,then again into English then took it to the U.S.Embassy in Bangkok and got it notarized,I used the same document to get her a tourist visa to come to America and again in America when we went to INS and got her a ten year immigrant visa.I don't know if it is still possible to do that or not.When we arrived in America we flew into Los Angeles .A friend of mine flew into Seattle with his wife and had a bit of a problem with immigration as they told him that it was illegal to bring his wife to America on a tourist visa.They did allow her entry into the U.S. though after the shift duty officer approved in the Seattle airport immigration approved it.I didn't bring my wife to the states in 2001.I was working in Azerbaijan at the time.We came to America in 2004.However the document that I had translated into Thai and then into English and had notarized at the U.S. embassy and her passport was all that we needed to apply for her visa.I don't know if that would still work or not.Back in 2001 it was not easy for an American to get service at the American services part of the American embassy.You could wait all day every day forever and the Cambodians at the service window would not speak to you.I became frustrated and just went ahead and got married and went to Thailand to get it notarized.I heard that the Cambodian staff at the Embassy got fired seven times in a row back then before they found people that would follow the rules and not set up their own scam.I imagine that things run a lot smoother now.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

A lot has changed since 2001
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic