Russian Tycoon Sergei Polonsky's Court Date is Set for July

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.

Will Polonsky beat the charges next month in court?

YES
67%
NO
No votes
I WOULD NEED MORE DETAILS ABOUT THE CASE TO MAKE AN EDUCATED GUESS
33%

Total votes: 6
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Russian Tycoon Sergei Polonsky's Court Date is Set for July

Post by General Mackevili »

Polonsky, 41, is accused of threatening six boatmen with a knife, locking them in a bathroom and forcing them to jump overboard during a boat journey through waters off the coast of Sihanoukville in late 2012.
“He committed a minor crime, so the decision will be light for him,” the prosecutor said of the intentional violence and illegal detention charges faced by Polonsky.
:facepalm:

I feel bad for the guy. He got a little grumpy on a boat ride, and now they want to make a big deal about it. He's an honest billionaire who obviously came to Cambodia to do humanitarian work (didn't he build the bridge to Snake Island, or what that another humanitarian?). He's wanted in Russia for fraud, which Interpol had on their website, Israel wouldn't grant him citizenship, and now they are using him as a scapegoat for anyone who gets a little restless on boat rides out to the islands off the coast. I think he should be allowed to continue developing this country and left in peace.

Anyways, I'm sure the law will lay down a heavy hand on him, even though the boatmen withdrew their complaints, surely after realizing what a good guy he is when he's not on a boat.

Do you think he'll get off of these minor charges? :evil:
He may have won his fight against extradition to his homeland, but Russian property tycoon Sergei Polonsky’s battle to remain a free man on Cambodian soil is not yet over.

A criminal case against the businessman will begin in Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court on July 4, officials said yesterday, though one prosecutor who spoke on condition of anonymity believes the tycoon’s freedom is all but guaranteed.

“He committed a minor crime, so the decision will be light for him,” the prosecutor said of the intentional violence and illegal detention charges faced by Polonsky.

“The judge will convict him with a suspended sentence or drop charges against him. [But] we will wait and see the decision.”

Polonsky, 41, is accused of threatening six boatmen with a knife, locking them in a bathroom and forcing them to jump overboard during a boat journey through waters off the coast of Sihanoukville in late 2012.

Polonsky’s lawyer, Benson Samay, was equally confident yesterday of a positive outcome for the tycoon – who is wanted in Russia on fraud charges related to a failed $176 million property development.

“His case will be fine,” Samay said, before hanging up.

The case against the businessman has been postponed twice already, first after a request for a delay from Polonsky’s lawyer, and a second time when the court assigned a new judge to oversee proceedings.

Polonsky owns and lives on Koh Dek Koul, an island off Sihanoukville.

A billionaire before the global financial crisis, according to Forbes magazine, Polonsky has promised to invest millions of dollars in development and tourism projects in the area.

Despite the boatmen withdrawing their complaints weeks after the alleged violence in exchange for a combined $20,000, Polonsky and fellow Russians Konstantin Baglay and Alexander Karachinsky spent several months in prison in early 2013 following their arrest at sea.

Polonsky, who did not respond to a request for comment yesterday, was first granted bail in April 2013 on the conditions that he stay in the country and report regularly to authorities.

Upon his release, however, he travelled to Israel, where he expressed an interest in gaining citizenship status.

He later returned to Cambodia, where he was dramatically arrested on Koh Rong in November after his details were posted on Interpol’s website and Russia issued a warrant for his arrest.

But Polonsky – who was once punched by a rival Russian billionaire during a live television forum – was released on bail again in January after the Court of Appeal decided to suspend his extradition.

Polonsky’s bid to remain in Cambodia was won on April 25 this year when the Supreme Court ruled that it could not extradite him because “Cambodia and Russia do not have an extradition agreement”.

Following the decision, Polonsky’s lawyer, Samay, said his client would continue to work on development projects in Sihanoukville, including on “many islands”.

“It’s difficult for Cambodia to find people like Polonsky, and Cambodia needs development, especially on the islands,” he said.

Following his first arrest, Polonsky wrote an open letter to King Norodom Sihamoni outlining plans for his multimillion-dollar developments.

During his time in Preah Sihanouk Provincial Prison, Polonsky, the former owner of property firm Mirax, frequently used social media sites to garner public support for his release.

...click link to continue reading...

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/p ... early-july
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Re: Russian Tycoon Sergei Polonsky's Court Date is Set for J

Post by Jaap N. »

Billionaire, Cambodian Courts, meh, no, too hard guess what will happen. :mrgreen:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I don't understand the third choice in the poll.

Never seen that on a forum before...
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I wish him luck, but my educated guess is that he won't really need it. ;)
4000islandsguy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by 4000islandsguy »

I voted needed more info as I thought it might be some pedo related thing. Now I have more info this guy walks for sure.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

If i vote that he walks, do i get to go across his bridge? (Hi Sergei :please: )
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic