51 Roach Coaches

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
LTO
Expatriate

51 Roach Coaches

Post by LTO »

Drunk on Street 51 at 3 or 4am, I like to pick up some food to take home, put something on top of the beer before passing out. For a long time I'd get food from one of the roach coaches - burger, dog, wings, ribs or something. Food quality doesn't seem to vary much amongst the coaches, but hygiene does. Pring's chicken wings seem to come with a free dose of the shits more often than not. The place opposite the entrance to Pontoon hasn't made me sick much (and has a superior freak show, but that's another story.) Of late, I have been foregoing the coaches, instead picking up a small pizza at the sidewalk place at 51/172. Pretty good actually. And I have never been poisoned by a pizza, but I'm getting a little board of it.

So, any recommendations for 4AM, Street 51, take-home drunk food? Something fast and easy and not too likely to contain salmonella. Westernish food preferable. The closer to Zep* the better.

(*Yes, Zep has some pretty okay dumplings and other foods. It's an option.)
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: 51 Roach Coaches

Post by General Mackevili »

LTO wrote:... picking up a small pizza at the sidewalk place at 51/172. Pretty good actually. And I have never been poisoned by a pizza, but I'm getting a little board of it.

So, any recommendations for 4AM, Street 51, take-home drunk food? Something fast and easy and not too likely to contain salmonella.
No salmonella? Jeez, you're a picky eater!

Those pizzas are great! One thing I've learned to ask them for in order to take it up another notch is to add "extra tomato sauce." They do it for free and it makes it a lot more hearty.

I really need to find out more info (like the name, for starters) of a place a few doors from Heart.

Supposedly it's superb western food and it's ran buy an Italian guy that speaks no Khmer and about 5 words in English.

It's reportedly very cheap for both food and drinks. And although they've recently raised their prices, it's still a great deal.

By the time I find myself stumbling out of Pontoon or some area bar at 4AM I always forget to check that place out.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Yeah the "Bongmeecha" lady at the entrance to the alley into the slum behind heart. 6000r for fresh noodles, veg and good beef in a nice sauce.

Very friendly woman, just north of raksamey burger after 11pm, mouth of the alleyway.
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

I do the same thing LTO, though sometimes I just stop at a corner store, (there is one a few blocks down the road from there, a couple blocks after WA) and pick up a few things then go home and eat them.

After a tough night of drinking, it definately helps to eat something before you pass out.

Just a wee bit of Valium the next day seems to help too, at least for myself.

I'm talking like 3 - 5 mg. Which is nothing.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Is anyone doing beef/chicken donner kebabs from a mobile platform? They do quite well in tourist parts of Thailand.
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

I love those things.

Not that I know of but there is a place on 51 basically across from Heart of Darkness.

Street food is so less evolved in Cambodia...
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
milkncereal
Expatriate

Post by milkncereal »

Soi Dog wrote:Is anyone doing beef/chicken donner kebabs from a mobile platform? They do quite well in tourist parts of Thailand.
never understood why someone doesnt set that up late night on 51.....
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Soi Dog wrote:Is anyone doing beef/chicken donner kebabs from a mobile platform? They do quite well in tourist parts of Thailand.
There's a cart that does these on 199 just north of MTT Bvd at 3000r a hit, but as there doesn't seem to be much turnover I haven't tried it.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
JessB52
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by JessB52 »

There is a rice/noodle place opposite Led Zep which is alright and has not made me sick.

The dumplings at Led Zep are really good value for money but I always find them very morish - you finish a portion and always want more!

Out of the 'roach coaches' La Lune (the orange one opposite Pontoon) gets my vote.

There are couple of half decent food places on the pavement of GSM from Heart to Pontoon - one if them does a chicken wrap for about $3 (been a while since I had one so this may've changed) and that's quite nice for a change, not amazing but decent enough.

There used to be a great pasta place which had one of the best carbonara's I've ever tried. So sad when it closed!
Cambodia's answer to Bet Lynch

https://www.facebook.com/JessatQuealys
harry88
Tourist

Post by harry88 »

General Mackevili wrote:
I really need to find out more info (like the name, for starters) of a place a few doors from Heart.

Supposedly it's superb western food and it's ran buy an Italian guy that speaks no Khmer and about 5 words in English.

It's reportedly very cheap for both food and drinks. And although they've recently raised their prices, it's still a great deal.

By the time I find myself stumbling out of Pontoon or some area bar at 4AM I always forget to check that place out.

I think the name of that place is Beppe's Pizza near Kebab Express,but i don't know if it's still open.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic