American Tourist Phillip Rolen Dies After Night of Heavy Drinking on Pub Street in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: American Tourist Phillip Rolen Dies After Night of Heavy Drinking on Pub Street in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Post by General Mackevili »

^ Also, I assume travel insurance might not cover anything if you're drunk, etc, so maybe that would be another reason to try and omit being drunk when you a fatal accident that you hope will be covered by insurance.

Postmortem test results or autopsy reports are welcome to be posted here by anyone trying to clear things up in this case.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: American Tourist Phillip Rolen Dies After Night of Heavy Drinking on Pub Street in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Post by Cam Nivag »

General Mackevili wrote:^ Also, I assume travel insurance might not cover anything if you're drunk, etc, so maybe that would be another reason to try and omit being drunk when you a fatal accident that you hope will be covered by insurance.

Postmortem test results or autopsy reports are welcome to be posted here by anyone trying to clear things up in this case.
Travel insurance should pay to repatriate your body even if you were drunk.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: American Tourist Phillip Rolen Dies After Night of Heavy Drinking on Pub Street in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Post by General Mackevili »

Cam Nivag wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:^ Also, I assume travel insurance might not cover anything if you're drunk, etc, so maybe that would be another reason to try and omit being drunk when you a fatal accident that you hope will be covered by insurance.

Travel insurance should pay to repatriate your body even if you were drunk.
I've never read the complete terms and conditions of any travel insurance policy, but I recall reading about various claims not being covered if the policy holder is intoxicated or breaking the law.

Here are some random articles about insurance claims:

"Research from the British Insurance Brokers’ Association (BIBA) found that most insurers have exclusions around alcohol or drug-related incidents. But these exclusions vary from insurer to insurer, so read your policy carefully before you take it out to be fully aware of what you are and aren’t covered for.

For example, the insurer LV states that: “We won’t cover any claim that results because you or a travelling companion has drunk enough alcohol to result in your or their judgement being seriously affected.”

Admiral, on the other hand, excludes: “Any claim arising directly or indirectly from Your drug addiction or solvent abuse, excessive alcohol intake, being under the influence of alcohol (including but not exclusively having a blood alcohol reading of more than 150mg per 100ml) or You being under the influence of drug(s)”
"

http://www.travelsupermarket.com/blog/1 ... all-print/

"In a survey of 1,000 British skiers by Post Office Travel Insurance, 22 per cent admitted drinking heavily (more than 12 units in a single night) during a winter sports holiday, while 39 per cent said they had hit the slopes while suffering from a hangover.

Should a doctor deem that alcohol was a factor in a skiing accident, it could invalidate the cover, leaving the patient to pay for medical and other expenses. On average, Britons drink 10 units of alcohol on a typical night in a ski resort, according to the study.
"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowa ... cover.html

"Q: I got drunk and hurt myself. Will I be covered?

A: Possibly not. If you are doing something foolish (whether you’re drinking or not), insurance companies will want to know if putting yourself at unnecessary risk led to the injury. If, after investigating, they find you did, they can deny your claim. That’s not to say that they expect you to be sober your entire trip, but let’s just say you’re unlikely to get reimbursed if you’re tanked and decide that it would be a good idea to stand in the middle of the road and play chicken.

So don’t be foolish!
"

http://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs ... questions/

So while I can't find saying it would definitely deny repatriation, it seems it could cancel the policy's coverage completely.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

At least he has gone to his god, that's what these people strive for isn't it? RIP
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic