Interesting Look into the Forging Business Here in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Interesting Look into the Forging Business Here in Cambo

Post by vladimir »

@crabtree: I think certain levels of govt employees get a monthly allowance, maybe $50-100.

I spoke to a cop once who said they have to pay for heir own fuel, even for official business, but he just had a moto.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

vladimir wrote:
Jacobincambodia wrote:I'm sure his skills could be used for something different to support his family. The illegal route just happens to be the most lucrative.
OK, I think I overreacted, apologies, but my sentiments remain the same.

You're sure about his skills? Well obviously you've researched this thoroughly.

What marketable 'skills' does he have? Education? This is not some multi-faceted guy we're talking about here, this is probably a motodop-level guy.

There has been rapid urbanisation here, and there are simply not enough jobs even for university students, let alone guys ta this level. They choose the path that pays the best that they feel comfortable in.

A young woman in a similar situation might very well turn to the sex trade. Yes, it's sad, but what other options exist?

And when the topdogs are flagrantly breaking the law, do you honestly expect the guys at the bottom to set an example?

A little less judgement and a little more understanding.

I'm certain if you offer him a legal job at the same rate he'd probably take it.
Actually, I really appreciate you taking this issue so seriously. Sometimes, like most on here inject a certain degree of sarcasm but that might not truly represent who they are. In this case, it's good to see that you appear to really care about this issue. I, too, care deeply about this issue. Opening myself up to criticism, I delicately say that this is one of the reasons I'm here -- to help folks like this and on day hopefully offer a job with a fair wage. It's, unfortunately very complicated.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

vladimir wrote:
Jacobincambodia wrote:I'm sure his skills could be used for something different to support his family. The illegal route just happens to be the most lucrative.
OK, I think I overreacted, apologies, but my sentiments remain the same.

You're sure about his skills? Well obviously you've researched this thoroughly.

What marketable 'skills' does he have? Education? This is not some multi-faceted guy we're talking about here, this is probably a motodop-level guy.

There has been rapid urbanisation here, and there are simply not enough jobs even for university students, let alone guys ta this level. They choose the path that pays the best that they feel comfortable in.
i would say, to answer your questions, work as a car detailer/etc. seems the amount of detail and skill in making a fake nameplate would do well working at a car/moto paint shop.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

I actually had one of the guys that makes these plates make a sign for me (might be the same guy). I was surprised by how skilled he was, he made a freehand stencil of something relatively obscure that I asked for and then layered different colors of spraypaint to get the desired color. The whole thing was quite a process and he only charged me $4. Anyway, he is talented and hard-working and I am guessing if he could make the same money doing something that better utilized his artistic skills, he would probably do it.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

i think that jumps to the conclusion that they have the same awareness we tend to have of "available options". i believe a lot don't.

hell, I even know a fair number of westerners who aren't very good at seeing how 1 set of skills for 1 job applies to other jobs. there's a whole movement over it now about people complaining that the government hires from a poll of successful corporate officers as some conspiracy without even considering that it could just be because they're good at running big complex organizations. not unrealistic that an undereducated cambodian farmer with a knack for art doesn't realize he could be doing $2000 custom paint jobs on some of these russian sports cars and such around town instead of churning out $5 license plates with a constant risk of having the money to pay the daily bribes or getting shut down (or worse).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic