Khmer language road safety / helmet safety info

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
one_dolla
Expatriate

Re: Khmer language road safety / helmet safety info

Post by one_dolla »

the 'helmet 1' video has a whopping 217 views on youtube....not being seen much then
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

one_dolla wrote:the 'helmet 1' video has a whopping 217 views on youtube....not being seen much then

Not on youtube obviously, but they are watching them on TV. New TV ad spearheads Cambodia campaign

"The AIP Foundation is stepping up an awareness raising campaign which has been running since March 2015, alerting the public to the new rules. A public service announcement, broadcast on Cambodian television channels"

The helmet 1 video was a health promotion video from 3 years ago not sure if it is in use on tv commercials now. The current one of course is the one where the ghost of a motorbike accident victim explains the importance of wearing a helmet

here's "The Traffic Accident Song" video

SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

i want to see if it would be ok to wear a colander like clarkson did
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

What surprises me is the amount of riders who do have helmets but prefer to carry then rather than wearing them
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

chiltern wrote:What surprises me is the amount of riders who do have helmets but prefer to carry then rather than wearing them
Ask them 'why', and it will be that it's for when they see the police.

Q. What could happen if you don't wear a helmet?
A. The police will stop you and ask for money.

:horse:
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

chiltern wrote:What surprises me is the amount of riders who do have helmets but prefer to carry then rather than wearing them

But helmet wearing has increased significantly over the last few years. In 2004 it was about %8 and by 2009 it was %56. I think a survey published in about 2012 put the rate at %43 and %25 at night. But this was country wide as opposed to Phnom Penh. In PP I think the rate is now over %80, and last year following the new regulations was over %70

"Although punishment for violators is currently suspended, helmet use among child passengers rose dramatically, from 0.06 per cent to 28.7 per cent in communes measured, according to AIP, noting that for drivers, helmet use rose from 63 per cent to 77 per cent." PP Post article of report.

I don't know how much you ride a month, but I do about 1000k and since last year I have really notised a significant dfference in helmet compliance. There are plenty of surveys that you can pull out if interested. Here's a couple for starters:

“Community-based Helmet Wearing and Enforcement” in Makara 7 District, Phnom Penh
http://www.afd-ld.org/~handicap-csr/pdf ... m-2009.pdf

Helmet use among motorcyclists in Cambodia: a survey of use, knowledge, attitudes, and practices
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22414126

Helmet Use Among Motorcyclists in Cambodia: A Survey of Use, Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices
https://www.iihmr.edu.in/common/Helmet- ... ctices.pdf
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

The police could make a fortune after 6pm in SHV :beer1: to spend shooting up KTVs
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic