Installing a hot water shower?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Installing a hot water shower?

Post by StroppyChops »

Murray is working long hours out of town at the moment, might be hard to get.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

I'm in Siem Reap, so am on the case here. Murray is safe.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Costs us $5 each time we move to have it installed... takes them about 15 minutes. They'll find power and route it to where they need it, usually from the bathroom light switch.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Yeah, I was going to guess $10 for an install.

If you do happen to find a place that sells them, I'm certain somebody there will be able to do it for you "after hours" if they don't officially offer to do it.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

giblet wrote:So, what's involved in getting a hot water shower installed? I've got a bathroom without hot water and I'd like to get that fixed before the weather cools down. I'm not sure if I need to check anything before I buy one like whether there's a nearby electricity source, etc. Anyone done this before?
giblet,
let me know if you sorted this. I am looking for where to buy and a person to install. I am fairly certain I have the power wires above the shower just can't verify yet as I am moving in shortly.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I bought a Panasonic from the Akira shop on Monivong, and they asked me if I wanted a sparky to install it. $10, the guy came out and installed it. You may want to upgrade your circuit breaker to 20 amp, our 10 amp was tripping all the time.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

vladimir wrote:I bought a Panasonic from the Akira shop on Monivong, and they asked me if I wanted a sparky to install it. $10, the guy came out and installed it. You may want to upgrade your circuit breaker to 20 amp, our 10 amp was tripping all the time.
:beer3:

I'll be heading over to Akira it seems
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

You want to trust a clueless, probably barely trained store lackey? When it comes to touching electronics while barefoot and soaking wet, you might want to consider hiring an experienced electrician. If your water heater is not grounded properly, 220V is more than enough to kill you. The heater should definitely have its own separate circuit and disconnect switch, too. Don't let him run it off the light.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Soi Dog wrote:You want to trust a clueless, probably barely trained store lackey? When it comes to touching electronics while barefoot and soaking wet, you might want to consider hiring an experienced electrician. If your water heater is not grounded properly, 220V is more than enough to kill you. The heater should definitely have its own separate circuit and disconnect switch, too. Don't let him run it off the light.
have you heard of an accidental electrocution from one yet? i'd imagine it would be big news, and these guys do them all the time.

as for a separate circuit, why? the only time they really draw much power is if you're using the pump feature, which most don't and some don't even have.
Tim Linkinwater
Expatriate

Post by Tim Linkinwater »

There are few things worse than nervously eyeing a bunch of electrical wires every time you take a shower.
If like me you don't know much about electricity but do know it doesn't mix well with water, pay someone to do it right.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic