What 7 Things Do You Always Pack When You Travel?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Re: What 7 Things Do You Always Pack When You Travel?

Post by one_dolla »

Imodium is essential! stops the shits in less than 20 minutes
KickingWithRedLabel
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by KickingWithRedLabel »

I take my gold chains in case I want to go sexing
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Good topic. I like your list, General.

I would add:

1. If I have checked luggage (rarely), I take my Victorinox knife/tool kit. It's specially handy when I get one of those blister packs for food or whatnot that are maddeningly difficult to open if you have old fingers like me. Has bottle opener and scissors that really work.

2. Pen is a must. But I don't like lending it because of what people do with it -- sticking it up their nose, scratching their head, sucking on the release button, clicking the button relentlessly, etc., all of which I've seen.

3. Alcohol swabs, band-aids and antiseptic cream. I think this is a must for the tropics when you want to treat an open wound ASAP.

4. Toothpicks with wrappers that I pick up occasionally from restaurants.

5. All my own toiletries. All of them. I use nothing from hotel rooms since they're such cheap crap.

6. A thread and needle kit. Made a big difference once.

7. Tissue and/or toilet paper. Too many washrooms never had any in the first place or the dispenser was empty.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I miss the days when i could throw my swiss army knife in my carry on, but after having so many taken , i gave up,
One ( and my Nepali Khukari knive) are always in my car thou

100% agree on #2,4,5,6 :thumb:
My 1st aid kit includes; (Eye drops, neosporin, Ear buds, Band aids, Tylenoyl, Tramadol, Tums, cold tablets) & Epoxy Adhesive (the 2 tubes that u mix)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

ExPenhMan wrote: 4. Toothpicks with wrappers that I pick up occasionally from restaurants.
On that tip, the little moist towelettes in the sealed sachets like they have at KFC are quite handy on planes etc.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
CowshedCowboyRedux
Expatriate

Post by CowshedCowboyRedux »

A couple of recent additions which are convenient for me. Picked off a photography forum, I found one of my old apple adaptors fits my camera chargers so I can ditch all the cables now. I bought a portable wireless hard drive that has an SD card slot so I back up directly onto that on longer trips and don'ttravel with my laptop anymore. Light ipad mini with sim card for internet access everywhere and all the media and entertainment wherever I go, never travel without it.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

1. Laptop
2. Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
3. Ps Vita
4. Bluetooth Speaker
5. Charging cables for my electronic devices (laptop/phone etc) + Socket adaptors etc.
6. Toiletries
7. i have a plastic folder i keep Passports, Passport Photos and travel documents and pens etc.

haha i also collect the hotel toothbrushes as they always handy to keep in your bag/toiletries

nothing really special with my packing usually do it 5 minutes before i set off, have a pretty swift routine
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: haha i also collect the hotel toothbrushes as they always handy to give out to the bargirls sleeping over

nothing really special with my packing usually do it 5 minutes before i set off, have a pretty swift routine
Seems more accurate no?
Not sure if we're talking carry on or just in general here?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Raybull wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: haha i also collect the hotel toothbrushes as they always handy to give out to the bargirls sleeping over
Seems more accurate no?

LMFAO that is exactly what they get used for! :plus1:
the only time i use them is when i put one in my side pocket if i think im going to need it when flying (transfers etc)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

For international travel these are the essentials, so they go in my large messenger bag as carry on
1. Documents: 2 leather passport wallets, one for passport, airline cards and primary cards, second for all backup cards and extra cash kept separate
2. Gadgets: iPad, iPhone, Xioami power bank
3. Peripherals: wired in ear headphones, Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones, chargers and cables
4. Toiletries: 20 or so items, including ear plugs and moisture cream
5. Full extra set of nice clothes
Other stuff I'll check in:
6. Two Bluetooth types of speakers
7. All the other fancy yet essential crap I buy that's expensive where I'm headed (good razors, cologne, imported clothes, shoes and belts, gifts(ie. perfume), etc
Sometimes that'll all fit in a regular suitcase, other times, it's a couple duffle bags full if I've passed thru North America and hit up the Rosses and Marshalls as I did this summer, where you can get nice stuff, the status crap that Asians love, for a fraction of the prices of Bangkok (ie. Levi's slim fits for 20$, designer smells for 10-20$, Top end sneaks and runners for 10-20$, Italian leather shoes for 20-40$, designer sunglasses for 20-40$...all of these are five plus times more in Asia.) Dress shirts and trousers you can get fitted and stitched around here for cheap though.
Last edited by Raybull on Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic