Cambodia is finally taking on rabies.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia is finally taking on rabies.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Deadly Rabies Virus Gets Overdue Attention
by Chhorn Phearun and Michael Dickison | October 18, 2016

It kills more Cambodians every year than malaria. More than dengue fever. It’s 100 percent preventable, but very little has been done to eradicate it.

This year, Cambodia is finally taking on rabies—a killer virus most often transmitted to people through the saliva of biting dogs.

A pilot program, in an effort to vaccinate the country’s 5 million dogs for rabies and reduce the estimated 800 annual rabies deaths, was launched on Monday with small-scale field work in Phnom Penh and Kandal province.

Figures from the Pasteur Institute, which runs Cambodia’s primary rabies vaccination center, suggest there are more than 600,000 severe dog bites a year—one for every 25 people—and far more deaths than in neighboring countries...
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/dead ... on-119414/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Popeye
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Cambodia is finally taking on rabies.

Post by Popeye »

vaccinate the country’s 5 million dogs for rabies
Cheaper and more effective to shoot all these good for nothing mutts ! Give me a gun and I will make a start and get rid of these 8 or so mutts in this laneway where I am living. Yapping c***s of things.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

10 months later...
11 August 2017
As its rabies plan lags, Cambodia feels the bite
Despite killing some 800 people in the Kingdom each year, rabies has been largely off the public health radar. Plans are in the works for a nationwide response, but can funding catch up?
When her 15-year-old daughter Thai Sopheak was bitten by a dog last month, Kat Soklim took no chances. She had known a man from a nearby village who died following a dog bite the year before, and she wasn’t going to let her daughter suffer the same fate.

Sopheak is one of the lucky ones; for the past month, she has been leaving her village in Kampong Cham’s Prey Chhor district every few days at 6 in the morning to head to Phnom Penh. Her destination is the Pasteur Institute’s vaccination centre, where she can get postexposure rabies treatment against the otherwise incurable virus.

Rabies, which is known as chkae chkuot or “mad dog” disease in Khmer, has a 100 percent fatality rate if a patient isn’t vaccinated before the disease takes hold, and it is estimated to kill as many as 800 people – disproportionately children – each year in the Kingdom. Nonetheless, there is currently no national programme to address the disease, and a lack of resources persists when it comes to vaccinating both people and animals.

“It’s years late,” Dr Ly Sowath, who is in charge of the rabies vaccination centre at the Pasteur Institute, said of a nationwide rabies strategy.
“The progress is rather slow in putting together a national programme compared to programs for dengue or malaria or tuberculosis.”

In part because of this, access to the vaccine – which if administered in time is completely safe and effective – is extremely limited. People are often forced to take hours-long journeys to the only trusted vaccination centres, which are in Phnom Penh or Siem Reap – a precaution they will only take if they are aware of the disease and can afford the travel...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/i ... feels-bite
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

The vaccine is horrible, kill the mutts. Can you get shotguns here? Plenty of small arms but I've not seen a decent shooter anywhere. Hunting the buggers with AKs just seems dangerous.
STEVITO
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by STEVITO »

What is the problem with the vaccine? 3 jabs and done. Not nasty and I didn't have any side effects besides feeling like someone had punched me.
The problem is the cost which is prohibitive for lower/middle class Khmer. Hopefully vaccination for all can happen. The dogs ain't going to disappear quickly....
Brewer
Expatriate

Post by Brewer »

STEVITO wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:17 am What is the problem with the vaccine? 3 jabs and done. Not nasty and I didn't have any side effects besides feeling like someone had punched me.
The problem is the cost which is prohibitive for lower/middle class Khmer. Hopefully vaccination for all can happen. The dogs ain't going to disappear quickly....
Are you not talking about the preventative vaccine, which is the one I've had. That is fuck all, no worse than a tetanus. The biggest pain I had was in my wallet as it didn't come free. If you get bitten and haven't had the vaccine beforehand - which is, as you say, three shots - you have to have a dose of immunoglobin first then a batch of further vaccination shots.

The old treatment was unpleasant indeed. It was a big, fuck off needle injecting the anti-rabies shot into the stomach - which was the only part of the body that had the capacity to cope with the expansion of the shit they injected. :shock:
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Brewer wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:34 am
STEVITO wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:17 am What is the problem with the vaccine? 3 jabs and done. Not nasty and I didn't have any side effects besides feeling like someone had punched me.
Are you not talking about the preventative vaccine, which is the one I've had. That is fuck all, no worse than a tetanus. The biggest pain I had was in my wallet as it didn't come free. If you get bitten and haven't had the vaccine beforehand - which is, as you say, three shots - you have to have a dose of immunoglobin first then a batch of further vaccination shots.

The old treatment was unpleasant indeed. It was a big, fuck off needle injecting the anti-rabies shot into the stomach - which was the only part of the body that had the capacity to cope with the expansion of the shit they injected. :shock:
The treatment now is painless. 5 shots over a period of two months at USD 12.00 a pop.
STEVITO
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by STEVITO »

Referring to the one who said the vaccine was horrible. Maybe he/she meant for treatment for a bite post-event which is a different matter and I have no experience of that...
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

STEVITO wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:53 am

Referring to the one who said the vaccine was horrible. Maybe he/she meant for treatment for a bite post-event which is a different matter and I have no experience of that...
I meant post-event. Painless and no side effects.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Quick one, Cambodia = deffo get rabies jabs?
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic