Any newbie tips to avoid airport ripoffs?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Any newbie tips to avoid airport ripoffs?

Post by hanno »

timmydownawell wrote:
hanno wrote:No rip-off at the airport except the foreign currency exchange booth.
Well, make sure you have the exact cash to pay for your tourist/ordinary visa as otherwise change may not be forthcoming.
That only applies if you are Chinese/Korean/Vietnamese.
CambodianDevil
Tourist

Post by CambodianDevil »

This was really helpful guys. I actually would have probably said it was my first time in Cambodia and believed the guy if he told me the place I was staying was awful. I'm looking forward to getting there.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Oh here are two more tips about SR:

1. The floating village river tours suck. Tuk tuk driver will drive you to a hot, garbage strewn dock that reeks of rotting fish, then you pay $20-$40 for the pleasure of spending a few hours on a loud, rickety boat that reeks of petrol touring impoverished shacks in the garbage filled river.

2. For 20+ years, all tuk tuk drivers take all tourists to the "sunset temple" (phnom bakheng) at 5 pm or so. It's an a exceptionally crowded steep muddy hill and when you get to the top you will find every square inch covered with other tourists and their tripods and selfie sticks. The sunset views aren't even that good there. Avoid. Go to Angkor Wat temple for sunset or anywhere else.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

1.not true if u head to Kampong Phluk and out on the lake
2. ALL!!!! 5555555 lol, sunset was great back in 2006 or so when u could see Angkor wat but when i went back in 2012 the trees had grown and u could no longer see the temple
the steep climb down at dark is a bitch
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Cam Nivag wrote:Oh here are two more tips about SR:

1. The floating village river tours suck. Tuk tuk driver will drive you to a hot, garbage strewn dock that reeks of rotting fish, then you pay $20-$40 for the pleasure of spending a few hours on a loud, rickety boat that reeks of petrol touring impoverished shacks in the garbage filled river.

2. For 20+ years, all tuk tuk drivers take all tourists to the "sunset temple" (phnom bakheng) at 5 pm or so. It's an a exceptionally crowded steep muddy hill and when you get to the top you will find every square inch covered with other tourists and their tripods and selfie sticks. The sunset views aren't even that good there. Avoid. Go to Angkor Wat temple for sunset or anywhere else.
1. Not true, it depends which village you go to. You probably went to Chong Kneas which is indeed a shit-hole and best avoided. However, there are actually floating villages that are much better to visit.

2. True, even though they have now limited the place to 300 people at a given time. This does, of course, not apply to Korean tour groups ad the (illegal) Korean tour-guides bribe their way in. Much , much better places for sunset but I am not telling.....
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

so is "airport" now code for fishbowl. :facepalm:
thru shit to more shit
Brewer
Expatriate

Post by Brewer »

hanno wrote:No rip-off at the airport except the foreign currency exchange booth.

Do not bother to walk outside to get a Tuk-tuk as it will not be cheaper.

I believe current prices are USD 5.00 for a Tuk-tuk and USD 7.00 for a taxi, including constant pressure to book said vehicle for you temple tour the next day.

As you leave the airport terminal, the transportation booth is on your immediate left with prices well marked.
Yep, I can attest to that. Last time I was there it was also a late evening arrival so I arranged the place I had booked to pick me up. So I thought. They didn't so I grabbed a cab and had to spend most of the journey getting naused by the twat because he wouldn't listen. Nope, been to Cambodia several times, not going to the temples or any other tourist place and certainly not fucking tomorrow because I am tired and it is nearly midnight.

Then he got sullen and started to feign being tearful. :facepalm: "Oh this car is so unlucky for me. It makes me no money, maybe I have to sell it". :lol1: Fucking wanker had really pissed me of by that point so I just treated him like you should treat a sulking kid and ignored him.

I'd seriously think about sticking your earphones in and just tuning out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic