We are guests in this country

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: We are guests in this country

Post by OrangeDragon »

LTO wrote:LTO is 24 hours into a 33-hour plane and airport experience and will get back to chattering on Internet eventually.
You have our deepest condolences... lol.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

OrangeDragon wrote:
giblet wrote:Good point. In most (all?) of the countries that we come from, an immigrant can gain citizenship after a certain number of years and participate in the political process. It's not the same here.
It is the same here actually... it's just complicated by corruption to the point the process breaks down. That and most people won't go through the required steps, which our countries also have, for gaining citizenship. Becoming fluent in the language, knowledgable enough to pass the test, etc.
ARTICLE 8:
Foreigners who may apply for naturalization shall fulfil the following conditions:

1. Shall have a paper certifying that he/she has good behaviour and moral conduct issued by the chief of
the commune (Khum) or district (Sangkat) of his/her own residence. Will probably require a bribe or may just end up being impossible to get.

2. Shall have a letter of certification of past criminal records which stated that he/she had never been
previously convicted of any criminal offense.

3. Shall have a document certifying that such person has his/her residence in the Kingdom of Cambodia
and been living continuously for seven (7) years from the date of reception of the residence card which
was issued under the framework of the Law on Immigration. Still haven't seen how one gets a residence card...

4. Shall have residence in the Kingdom of Cambodia when applying for naturalization.

5. Shall be able to speak Khmer, know Khmer scripts and has some knowledge of Khmer history and
prove evidence clearly that he/she can live in harmony in Khmer society as well as can accept good
Khmer customs and traditions. This is the step that a lot of people won't do, which isn't that unlike similar exams in the US citizenship program.

6. Shall have his/her mentality and physical aptitude that will neither cause danger nor burden to the
nation. Will probably require a bribe or may just end up being impossible to get.
That's putting the best possible spin on this. From reports I've read immigration and naturalization officials quite often don't even know what the law is. Khmer Krom have serious problems getting citizenship documents to which they are clearly entitled.
Using Tapatalk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Supposedly this is how you get a residence card...

http://www.bigpond.com.kh/council_of_ju ... mm006g.htm

A self employed person such as myself (or JBTrain) I suppose would have to look at:
B- Permanent resident cards: which are for issuing to the aliens who are:

immigrant aliens who are recognized by the Minister of Interior.
foreign investors, their spouses and dependants who are recognized by the Cambodian Development Council (C.D.C.).
B- Formalities for application for Permanent Resident Cards:

An application for a Permanent Resident Card must be filed with the Ministry of Interior.
A copy of the Proclamation on recognition as an immigrant alien or immigrant alien who is as a private investor.
a copy of the passport or any equivalent document, with proper visa, must be enclosed with the application.
three(4x6) photos ( photos taken directly from the front, with no hat or eye-glasses).
A certification from any bank in the Kingdom of Cambodia which stated that the concerned person has deposited properly his/her bond as required by the Anukret.
A copy of receipt of payment of permanent resident card tax.
Not sure how one gets recognised by the ministry of interior... likely a hefty "recognition fee"...
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

I have read elsewhere that the language test is very difficult. Unlike the ones offered in the US or UK (which you can Google and study for) the Cambodian version would be hard for locals to pass, too.
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

OrangeDragon wrote:Supposedly this is how you get a residence card...

http://www.bigpond.com.kh/council_of_ju ... mm006g.htm

A self employed person such as myself (or JBTrain) I suppose would have to look at:
B- Permanent resident cards: which are for issuing to the aliens who are:

immigrant aliens who are recognized by the Minister of Interior.
foreign investors, their spouses and dependants who are recognized by the Cambodian Development Council (C.D.C.).
B- Formalities for application for Permanent Resident Cards:

An application for a Permanent Resident Card must be filed with the Ministry of Interior.
A copy of the Proclamation on recognition as an immigrant alien or immigrant alien who is as a private investor.
a copy of the passport or any equivalent document, with proper visa, must be enclosed with the application.
three(4x6) photos ( photos taken directly from the front, with no hat or eye-glasses).
A certification from any bank in the Kingdom of Cambodia which stated that the concerned person has deposited properly his/her bond as required by the Anukret.
A copy of receipt of payment of permanent resident card tax.
Not sure how one gets recognised by the ministry of interior... likely a hefty "recognition fee"...
http://www.camnet.com.kh/camdodia.daily ... llegal.htm
Now you have entered Catch 22 territory. You are required to have a residents card, in order to obtain a work permit but no residents cards have been issued. :facepalm:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

I don't know what you all are on about, really. I just received my Cambodian passport yesterday. I didn't even apply for one either. The Cambodian Ministry of Tourism approached me and said they have a new program to increase female tourism by means of giving out Cambodian passports to a select few very handsome foreign male expats in hopes that our good looks and permanent residency in country will in turn attract the female flocks of tourists. Don't feel bad that you didn't receive one, guys. :beer3:
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:I don't know what you all are on about, really. I just received my Cambodian passport yesterday. I didn't even apply for one either. The Cambodian Ministry of Tourism approached me and said they have a new program to increase female tourism by means of giving out Cambodian passports to a select few very delusional foreign male expats in hopes that our mental illness and permanent disability in country will in turn attract the female flocks of psychiatrist tourists. Don't feel bad that you didn't receive one, guys. :beer3:
Fixed, and no envy problem here.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

vladimir wrote:
Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:I don't know what you all are on about, really. I just received my Cambodian passport yesterday. I didn't even apply for one either. The Cambodian Ministry of Tourism approached me and said they have a new program to increase female tourism by means of giving out Cambodian passports to a select few very delusional foreign male expats in hopes that our mental illness and permanent disability in country will in turn attract the female flocks of psychiatrist tourists. Don't feel bad that you didn't receive one, guys. :beer3:
Fixed, and no envy problem here.
Hahahaha. :plus1:
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Joon wrote:
ali baba wrote:Looks like LTO has abandoned the thread.
Disappointing.
You have to stop assuming that people are tuned to forums 24/7 and will respond within the next 24 hours.
It's an interesting thread and everybody's chipping in. LTO will chip in when he feels he wants to.
You assume that I assume.
I actually checked LTO's profile to see when he had last logged in before making that post. As he had logged in at 18:25 (?from memory?) that day I reached the conclusion that he was online but declining to comment further.
LTO wrote:LTO is 24 hours into a 33-hour plane and airport experience and will get back to chattering on Internet eventually.
I'm looking forward to reading your updates.
Bon voyage!
Scarier than malaria.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

LTO wrote:“We are guests in this country.”

I hear this a lot.

No we aren’t. We (foreign travelers, tourists, expats) are, at best, paying customers.

Guests to my home are invited in, offered a cold drink, asked to join the family for meals, and if they need to stay over, the guest is provided with a place to sleep, sometimes one of the family even giving up their room to accommodate the guest. So long a person is a guest in my home, he will be treated courteously (and the same is expected in return) and certainly won’t have to pay for anything. Guests do not have to pay to enter my house (let alone get scammed on the price), or pay for their drinks or meals or room, or buy tickets to see my book collection or anything here. In fact, if a guest tries to pay me I would certainly refuse and may even feel a bit insulted. If they had to do stuff like pay to enter my house they would be customers, not guests. Customers pay for their drinks and meals and their bed, and may even have to pay a cover charge to get in. And though I would expect customers to behave properly in my business lest I kick them out (or worse), there is no expectation that they will be overly courteous and certainly none that they won’t complain or that I might have to improve my business in response to those complaints. Foreigners here legally are not guests in this country. If there is an analogy to be made, they are paying customers who have no particular obligation to kowtow to the owner or tiptoe around the staff (except perhaps for fear of the consequences,) and are entitled to expect a certain amount of rights and return for their payments. Some here are even more than paying customers, they have a degree of vested interest and not only have the right to stomp around a bit and point out faults and try to make changes, but perhaps even an obligation.
Thanks for the memorabilia LTO, I am sure it will be commemorated. However, there are 2 distinct types or maybe 3 of expats. Ones who live here and getting involved, in this case they are not the guess type. The other ones on the other hand, come fucking around for the enjoyment - to me, yes they are guests this country.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic