Any newbie tips to avoid airport ripoffs?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
CambodianDevil
Tourist

Any newbie tips to avoid airport ripoffs?

Post by CambodianDevil »

I just bought my flight ticket to Siem Reap, Cambodia. All the flights I had to choose from arrive at 10:20 p.m.

If I had my preference, I wouldn't be in a foreign country that late with luggage and no real clue of where things are. I'm guessing there are cons that lurk around the airport to catch tired tourists off guard.

I just want a safe place I can stay without getting robbed or ripped off. Any con tricks to watch out for? Suggest a nice place to stay for that first night?

Thanks.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Any newbie tips to avoid airport ripoffs?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I've only flown into Siem Riep once, but there's a tuktuk line just outside the airport. It's basically like the airport taxi lines at most others airports and there's a set price ($5 I think). A guy asks where you want to go, writes it down on a piece of paper and gives it to the first tuktuk in line. Don't worry, they all know the flight arrival times so there will be tuktuks waiting. Maybe someone can comment on the official listed pricing, but I remember it being way more organized than Phnom Penh. I tried to save a few bucks by walking and hailing my own tuktuk, but the price ended up roughly the same, so don't bother.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

*Don't buy any babies powdered milk.

*Agree on a price before hand, even if the Tuk-Tuk driver says, "up to you."

*It's probably heroin, not coke.

*Don't play any friendly hands of blackjack.

*That friendly, homeless foreigner who just started chatting you up did NOT just lose his passport and all his other worldly possessions on a bus from Bangkok.

*And make sure you both have the same definition of "long time."

Have fun and welcome to CEO!
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

being rip off is part of the learning curve, if u avoid small rip offs, then in the long run will make you complacent and you will be ripped off big time, my theory anyways :beer3:
General Mackevili wrote:**And make sure you both have the same definition of "long time." Image Have fun and welcome to CEO!
:lol: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

No rip-off at the airport except the foreign currency exchange booth.

Do not bother to walk outside to get a Tuk-tuk as it will not be cheaper.

I believe current prices are USD 5.00 for a Tuk-tuk and USD 7.00 for a taxi, including constant pressure to book said vehicle for you temple tour the next day.

As you leave the airport terminal, the transportation booth is on your immediate left with prices well marked.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I can highly recommend Bou Savy guesthouse, and they will send someone to collect you from the airport.

They are in a great location, really good price ($around $24) for aircon, hot water, breakfast, pool and excellent staff that speak English. I can't recommend them highly enough.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

General Mackevili wrote:*Don't buy any babies powdered milk.

*Agree on a price before hand, even if the Tuk-Tuk driver says, "up to you."

*It's probably heroin, not coke.

*Don't play any friendly hands of blackjack.

*That friendly, homeless foreigner who just started chatting you up did NOT just lose his passport and all his other worldly possessions on a bus from Bangkok.

*And make sure you both have the same definition of "long time." Image

Have fun and welcome to CEO!
^^^
That is why you are the General. Crisp, brisk & to th pint....I mean point. :hattip:
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

hanno wrote:No rip-off at the airport except the foreign currency exchange booth.
Well, make sure you have the exact cash to pay for your tourist/ordinary visa as otherwise change may not be forthcoming.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Don't give your airport tuk tuk driver any information about yourself, whether it's your first time in Cambodia, or what your plans are,, or when you plan to go back to the airport. Unless you want to marry him.

If he asks you if you have a booking at the hotel you direct him to, say yes, even if you don't, and don't believe him if he says the place is closed/dirty/unsafe/burned down.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

SR airport was nice when i went, i also had a late arrival and immigration was pretty simple as there wasnt really any queue at that time, cant comment about the tuk tuk though as it was about 4 year ago now
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic