Weekly rates for tuktuk?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SnookyRookies
Tourist

Weekly rates for tuktuk?

Post by SnookyRookies »

I need to hire a tuktuk by the week to commute my wife and daughter to and from work/school every day. 5 trips to work in the morning, 5 rides home, 4 km each per week. I am in sihanoukville. How much should I expect to pay?

Sent from my SM-J105B using Tapatalk
Just Another Dave
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Weekly rates for tuktuk?

Post by Just Another Dave »

I said $15 but my Mrs says $20. Unfortunately no such thing as group discount here. But why tuk tuk? Moto dop taxi is cheaper.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

The Exnet app tells me 15,000r for 4km in a luxury SUV, 12,000 for regular taxi. That wouldn't work in the traffic jams here in PP, but probably fine in le ville du merde.

$60/m sound like a lot for a monthly contracted tuk tuk, but I'm not up on current tuk tuk prices, nor Sihanoukville prices.

I wouldn't send my child to school three up on a motodop, especially a SHV dop, but that's just me.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

epidemiks wrote:The Exnet app tells me 15,000r for 4km in a luxury SUV, 12,000 for regular taxi. That wouldn't work in the traffic jams here in PP, but probably fine in le ville du merde.

$60/m sound like a lot for a monthly contracted tuk tuk, but I'm not up on current tuk tuk prices, nor Sihanoukville prices.

I wouldn't send my child to school three up on a motodop, especially a SHV dop, but that's just me.
yeah if youre paying $60 per month you could rent a motobike for that price and they could drive themselves lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Popeye
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Popeye »

Cheaper to buy your own Tuk Tuk !!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Shit, I pay $100 a month in PP for my kid to be taken to and from school by a reliable tuk tuk.

I don't think anybody suggesting that the op should get all those trips for $60 is living in reality.
SnookyRookies
Tourist

Post by SnookyRookies »

So, based on what y'all are saying... the guy charging my wife $200 a month should either supply us with free lube, or find someone else to screw.

Sent from my SM-J105B using Tapatalk
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

Do some basic math.

A 4km ride should be no more than $3. So 5 trips there and 5 back is $30 per week. Which is $120 per month. Now I know there are usually 4.3 weeks in a month but using a 4 week month allows for all the holidays.

So if I just hailed a tuk tuk in the street i would expect to pay $120 per month.

As a regular gig... well you would expect a discount.

$200 per month.. you is being raped newbie.

By comparison a 225km aircon taxi ride between SHV and PP is $55 or less.

For under $3,000 you can buy a nice small car that will use very little juice and you can resell it later. You are talking just 40kms per week, or 2,000km in a year, very little maintenance or depreciation.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: RE: Re: Weekly rates for tuktuk?

Post by epidemiks »

Jerry Atrick wrote: I don't think anybody suggesting that the op should get all those trips for $60 is living in reality.
That's why I said:
epidemiks wrote: $60/m sound like a lot for a monthly contracted tuk tuk, but I'm not up on current tuk tuk prices, nor Sihanoukville prices.
An older teacher I know with a tuk tuk on a monthly contract took four 3km trips, 5 days a week, and he wasn't paying much more than $60 per month. This was two years ago. Maybe prices have gone up, maybe the tuk tuk was a soft touch and didn't care. I don't know. Ive taken 1 tuk tuk in the last 18 months so not au fait with current prices.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic