The West might regret forcing Thailand into a corner

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

The West might regret forcing Thailand into a corner

Post by phuketrichard »

I agree with this statement an for those of you that don't, give me a solution you think would have worked better.Democracy has not........ an toppling an elected government is wrong but.....

Sometimes you need go backwards to move forward.
Without the coup, political polarisation would have got worse and threatened to tear apart the fabric of the social order. The authorities continue to discover caches of war weapons and ammunition around the country, stockpiled by hard-core supporters of the previous government. These weapons were intended to be used to create violence in Bangkok by militia following what is generally known as the Khon Kaen model. Through this arrangement, the armed rebels would stage a takeover of the 20 provinces in the Northeast in defiance of the Bangkok centre. No country in the world would allow this to happen. Isn't this model similar to what the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria is trying to achieve in the war-torn nations of Iraq and Syria?
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion ... 37205.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: The West might regret forcing Thailand into a corner

Post by Soi Dog »

Thailand has every right to put its house in order in its own way. Public opinion is mostly in favour of the coup...
What utter bollocks. It is the military coup leader's way, not the public's way. If it was so popular with the public, then hold an election and let the people prove to you how popular it is with their votes. Oh yeah...I forgot, they tried that multiple times already, and the results didn't go so well for the elites EVERY FUCKING TIME. But I guess the red shirt supporter's opinions (the majority of the population) don't count in the OP's criteria.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

But... but... if the junta reports it found weapons stockpiles it HAS to be true... right? I mean, they would NEVER fabricate something like that to make their actions look more justified... we should easily be able to take their reports at face value... right!?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Corruption is the route of the evil here an it need ripping out.
Last edited by phuketrichard on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

phuketrichard wrote:fuck; u really dont get it do u? Would you rather have a civil war wit an elected government in power?
Over a military dictatorship who could very easily be "silencing" any opposition with no one the wiser... not really. But you make it sound like the Civil war was a sure fire thing, because you're buying everything the Junta serves you (via the press they control) as their justifications for their actions. Though I do love the assumption that the military isn't at all corrupt...
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I don't get how the west is forcing them to do anything at all.
They are just conforming to their historical pattern.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Without the military in control, there would have been a bloodbath when the kings death announcement was made. In my opinion and with many years of time in Thailand I believe that there is a 90% chance that the king is dead or real near death.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

highly likely.
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

phuketrichard wrote:more than 75% of the Thai people are behind it
You made that up.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Sailorman wrote:Without the military in control, there would have been a bloodbath when the kings death announcement was made. In my opinion and with many years of time in Thailand I believe that there is a 90% chance that the king is dead or real near death.
This x 1 million.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic