Real cost of housing?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Re: Real cost of housing?

Post by LaudJohn »

Luigi wrote:I

In your own respective countries would these be a common questions?

Let's say you are invited to a BBQ at a friends new house. Would you ask your host & or hostess what they paid for the house,?
I do not need to ask. I just look it up.

I took my daughter to a birthday party 2 days ago. I checked and found out that the parents were renting and how much rent they paid and what the landlord paid for the house 9 years ago and his name.

For cars an furniture you just look at the ads in the paper or do a google search. Not hard.
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

some examples here. more middle and upper types

http://www.ips-cambodia.com/property_ca ... m-rentals/

Bertros :hattip: :
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Luigi wrote:I think this is the only place in the world I have lived that it so common to ask someone what you pay for something. House, condo, rent, moto, auto. Does not seem to matter. At least once or three times a week I am asked, ''how much you pay? For whatever.
Not like did you find a better deal on Vietnamese coffee beans.

Let's say you are invited to a BBQ at a friends new house. Would you ask your host & or hostess what they paid for the house, furniture, the car & truck in the garage?

In redundancy I ask. In your own respective countries would these be a common questions?
It's a bit different here insofar as what you pay can vary wildly depending on how much the locals want to stretch it. When you buy something in the western world it generally has a price tag with a fixed price. Here, everything has an inflated barang price and you are forced to haggle. In the end, you are still never sure whether you are paying a reasonable price or if you got taken for a ride. That's why people ask what other people paid. If everything here had a fixed price tag (be it fruit/veg or rents) then the question would never get raised.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

timmydownawell,

In double redundancy I ask. In your own respective countries would these be a common questions?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Luigi wrote:timmydownawell,

In double redundancy I ask. In your own respective countries would these be a common questions?
No. Which is why I iterated why they are common questions here. Did you even read my post?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Luigi, I think it's a regressive reptilian brain function where we want to be able to either boast about how much we could afford, or boast how good we are at 'Cambodia-ing' by getting a good place for cheap, cause we're connected/a long-termer/have a wife whose very good at business.

As for home countries, are there any places where the above pissing contest isn't practiced? House prices are a fairly standard suburban self-flaggelation topic at aussie BBQ.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

timmydownawell wrote:
Luigi wrote:timmydownawell,

No. Which is why I iterated why they are common questions here. Did you even read my post?
Yes, I read your post. Did you read mine? It's more than rent prices. So many times I am asked what I paid for any expenditure more than $50.00. Cambodia only.

All talk of rising or falling real estate prices. But you ask of people what they paid for their home, auto, wife's divorce/ OK, I'll give you the last part. We all need that lawyers #.

I'ts just in my upbringing that one never asks of others personal finances. Never!

I came from a lower middle class as a product of post WW2. Maybe cultural. IDK
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

its a very common question in England i find, everyone always talks about the cost of things, and i dont really find it strange people asking here, and usually when people do its because they are unsure at what price they should be paying,

i do also agree with epidemics post about some people might purposely bring it up in order to boast about what they can afford/how cheap they can get

but i find that you get in that in every country, well definitely in England
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Luigi wrote:I think this is the only place in the world I have lived that it so common to ask someone what you pay for something. House, condo, rent, moto, auto. Does not seem to matter. At least once or three times a week I am asked, ''how much you pay? For whatever.
Not like did you find a better deal on Vietnamese coffee beans.

Let's say you are invited to a BBQ at a friends new house. Would you ask your host & or hostess what they paid for the house, furniture, the car & truck in the garage?

In redundancy I ask. In your own respective countries would these be a common questions?
yes this is asian culture, like when we meet we do not say how are you, instead we say have you eaten? this culture is not to prod ur privacy but more like a comparison culture, coz we r so damn competitive
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic