Best Mexican restaurant in Siem Reap

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
overkill
Tourist

Best Mexican restaurant in Siem Reap

Post by overkill »

I will go there next week and last time I only found one mexican restaurant in all of Siem Reap city and it was not to my liking at all. The name escapes me and they have a sister restaurant on the river side in Phnom Penh.

Are there Mexican restaurants in Siem Reap run by expats or actual Mexicans? Maybe Southern California is fine as well? Many choices here in PP but I came up with nothing good last time in Siem Reap. Even something called mexican on the pub street but looked at it and it looks just like they take a amok dish and add mexican spices and call it Mexican food. Will not even look there next time. Places have mexican on the menu at regular western restaurants but I want authentic or close to it.

Hanno here? You are a Temple town expat. Can you share your mexican dining secrets if you are on this forum?

https://img.ifcdn.com/images/e3a1092911 ... 28dc_1.jpg
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Best Mexican restaurant in Siem Reap

Post by Username Taken »

He sure is! He'll be along shortly I'm sure. (Actually, he was the first person I thought of too.)
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

The only good Mexican food in Temple Town is the one I make. Viva is shite and the one on Pub Street is even worse, I am afraid you are out of luck when it comes to Mexican food here.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

I am curious as to what you consider a Mexican Restaurant menu to feature.
I first went to Mexico in 1966. I visited many regions throughout the 70s..80s.90s.
I worked in LA for 4 years in restaurants and in Phoenix for 3 years in hotels.
In the US there is Tex-Mex which pretty much defines what people think Mexican food is.
There is a big difference in Mexico ..like most countries..depending on the region.
Corn tortillas vs flour tortillas is a good example.
I spent months in Mexico City and along the Pacific coast. I worked with all Mexican staffs for years.
Authentic Mexican is very different from Tex-Mex..
Or the US chain Chipotle.
Sourcing ingredients and regional differences make it quite a challenge.
A good example of what people of the World think is Mexican and what Mexicans think is Mexican is the beer Corona. I never saw or drank a Corona in decades of hanging out there. I never saw a Mexican drink one. When I did try a 6 pack in the US, I was appalled at the rancid nasty shit.
It is a famous export found all over the World.
So, I am just curious to what a Mexican Restaurant should have on its menu in Siem Reap or PP.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

everything shouldnt go back to this orange one...but couldnt resist

Donald Trump's Mexican food has a wall around it, to make sure it doesn't invade other parts of his plate.

Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

hanno wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:05 pm The only good Mexican food in Temple Town is the one I make. Viva is shite and the one on Pub Street is even worse, I am afraid you are out of luck when it comes to Mexican food here.
I agree with viva on pub street. But the other 1 i had a few good meals there.
Soyoung123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soyoung123 »

Angkor Tacos on Sok San has a very good spicy chicken burrito although a bit salty. $4.50. Chips and guacamole are $2.00. Owners learned from former tuk tuk taco and he’s very genuine and appreciative. Good place to support.

Maybe Later has great enchiladas and drinks as well. The restaurant is gorgeous as well. Owner is a legend.
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

BR549 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:58 am I am curious as to what you consider a Mexican Restaurant menu to feature.
I first went to Mexico in 1966. I visited many regions throughout the 70s..80s.90s.
I worked in LA for 4 years in restaurants and in Phoenix for 3 years in hotels.
In the US there is Tex-Mex which pretty much defines what people think Mexican food is.
There is a big difference in Mexico ..like most countries..depending on the region.
Corn tortillas vs flour tortillas is a good example.
I spent months in Mexico City and along the Pacific coast. I worked with all Mexican staffs for years.
Authentic Mexican is very different from Tex-Mex..
Or the US chain Chipotle.
Sourcing ingredients and regional differences make it quite a challenge.
A good example of what people of the World think is Mexican and what Mexicans think is Mexican is the beer Corona. I never saw or drank a Corona in decades of hanging out there. I never saw a Mexican drink one. When I did try a 6 pack in the US, I was appalled at the rancid nasty shit.
It is a famous export found all over the World.
So, I am just curious to what a Mexican Restaurant should have on its menu in Siem Reap or PP.
My opinion:

Authentic Mexican food is what you get in Tiajuana (or certain barrios of Los Angeles). Mexico City Mexican food just doesn't do it for me. TJ Mexican is authentic Mexican but designed to cater to the culture in Southern California. Tex-Mex is something different. Not bad, just different.

I remember a small shop in Tiajuana that had 33 cent tacos and Coronas years ago. (yes, they do drink and bottle Corona there, and it is "Hecho en Mexico", although Tecate and Modelo are similarly popular).

Personally, I think any shop that tries to make you sit down for a meal is not Mexican food. Mexican food is street food. Cheap and sold from a cart or run down hole in the wall. It is the opposite of fine dining. You carry it away with you. It should actually be ideal for Cambodia, but everyone who tries to open a Mexican restaurant tries to make it a "dining experience." I don't want that. I want 33 cent carnitas and beer.

Copy the Khmer idea of a sandwich cart, but make it with tortillas instead of French bread.

Actually I think it is tamale season right now. I could really go for some of those. The $1 kind...not the $8 kind.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Maybe later is very very good, best I've had in Cambodia for sure.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic