Urgent: Emergency Care for American Expat

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
apuri02
Tourist

Urgent: Emergency Care for American Expat

Post by apuri02 »

Hello,

We are American expats living in the region, visiting Phnom Penh for a couple of days, and my wife has come down with debilitating stomach pain and cramps following a bout of diarrhea. She has been trying to sleep it off for the past few hours but to no avail. We are in the vicinity of the Aruneas Hotel, can someone recommend a hospital/clinic/doctor for diagnosis and intervention (if necessary) that would not be trying to exploit the situation?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Urgent: Emergency Care for American Expat

Post by timmydownawell »

Raffles Medical Centre is right near you on St 51, but it will cost.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Blood in stool or vomiting?

I would just head straight to Calmette Hospital (budget) or Royal Phnom Penh Hospital if you think it's serious.

Seems those symptoms could be almost anything at this stage, but based on those 2 things alone are most likely from contaminated food or water, according to this:

Bacterial or viral infection caused by contaminated food or water is the usual cause. Frequent, constant, or severe abdominal pain and diarrhea may indicate a disease or a more serious medical issue. Common causes of abdominal pain and diarrhea include: viral gastroenteritis (stomach flu)

Indigestion, the stomach flu, and food poisoning are common causes of acute diarrhea and abdominal pain. In these cases, symptoms last for less than four days and often resolve without medical treatment.

Bacterial infections, viral infections, and certain parasites also cause these symptoms.

http://www.healthline.com/health/abdomi ... d-diarrhea
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I have no hesitation in recommending Dr. Modich, who is foreign trained and speaks excellent English. He has been posted about on this forum before.

Two caveats however:
1. He will mot be available until.8am, tomorrow
2. He is a GP.

Otherwise he meets your other criteria. For more info go to. https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/topic8772.html
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

apuri02 wrote:Hello,

We are American expats living in the region, visiting Phnom Penh for a couple of days, and my wife has come down with debilitating stomach pain and cramps following a bout of diarrhea. She has been trying to sleep it off for the past few hours but to no avail. We are in the vicinity of the Aruneas Hotel, can someone recommend a hospital/clinic/doctor for diagnosis and intervention (if necessary) that would not be trying to exploit the situation?
Central Hospital (82A, STREET 154, PHNOM PENH,) is ok , consultations are $20.Not too far from you.http://central-hospital.com/ Not sure who is on duty after 7 though.

Dr. Gavin Scott runs the Tropical & Travellers Medical Clinic which is good. Consultations $60 but not sure about outcalls. On 108 street close to 51. Check site here:http://www.travellersmedicalclinic.com/ourservices.html
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

apuri02 wrote:Hello,

Hello OP,
I hope this was just a case of "turista tummy" and that your wife is on the mend. If you went to a doctor or hospital, it would be useful to hear how that worked out.
On my first visit to Cambodia, I got really sick for about 4-5 days and couldn't stray far from a toilet. These things happen. I can recommend Spasfon which acts on the stomach cramps and lets the diarrhea evacuate the bad stuff - and drink lots of water.

If you found a good medical service for your problem, please pass it on.
AM
CJM555
Expatriate

Post by CJM555 »

Severe food poisoning can be the shits. Not sure if I would register an account on a forum to spread the diarrhoea news.
Lex
Expatriate

Post by Lex »

My first time in Cambodia I got diarrhea but some antibiotics cured it within a day or two.

On my second visit I got extremely ill. Could not hold anything down and had a constant need for toilet. Took some antibiotics and they had little to no impact.

I was out for 7 - 10 days. Eventually went to a clinic and they gave me a injection to stop me up, and what I guess were some additional antibiotics.

It may be one of those things you just have to ride out. Make sure you get some Royal D drink powder from a convenience store, to replace electrolytes.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Ercefuryl 200mg. Available at any pharmacy. Has helped greatly in the past with stomach problems, thankfully a rare thing. If symptoms aren't greatly reduced within 8-12 hours, I'd be seeking medical advice.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic