HELP My sister and her wife got robbed in Cambodia and we can't reach her, is anybody from Phnom Penh?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
olinko
Tourist

HELP My sister and her wife got robbed in Cambodia and we can't reach her, is anybody from Phnom Penh?

Post by olinko »

I know a forum post in this situation is the stupidest thing ever, but I'm doing whatever I can think of, no matter how dumb it may be.
She's Croatian and there's no Croatian embassy there (the one that covers Cambodia is in Malaysia but no one's answering there), we got ahold of the police number in Phnom Penh, but no one's answering either (it's 3AM there now). The police here in Zagreb (Croatia) can't help us either
She sent a message via Facebook messenger that they got robbed and their papers were stolen, so I know they're okay at least, but now I can't even get a hold of her over the phone.

Is anybody here from Phnom Penh who can help in any way?
LTO
Expatriate

Re: HELP My sister and her wife got robbed in Cambodia and we can't reach her, is anybody from Phnom Penh?

Post by LTO »

If she is facebooking that she is okay, just wait for morn. Late night robberies are usual. Police are useless. Embassy people sleep at night. Give her a buzz in the morn.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: HELP My sister and her wife got robbed in Cambodia and we can't reach her, is anybody from Phnom Penh?

Post by IraHayes »

Yes. As above. If she's on facebook she's fine. Lost papers are not life threatening. Yes she may be stuck here till it's fixed but I had a young lady from Peru who lost her passport and cards in a bag snatching and her closest embassy was in Indonesia i think. Anyway Western Union is a life saver for emergency funds, DHL have delivered many ATM & credit cards to my hostel and I've even let guests use my name to send money via Western Union (we go together I give my passport and they collect the money) easy and nothing to panic over tbh.
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

Are they ok? Do they still need help?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: HELP My sister and her wife got robbed in Cambodia and we can't reach her, is anybody from Phnom Penh?

Post by General Mackevili »

olinko wrote: She sent a message via Facebook messenger that they got robbed and their papers were stolen, so I know they're okay at least, but now I can't even get a hold of her over the phone.
Assume you've heard from them by now?

I hope it wasn't those scamming messages that people send from your account when they hack your password telling your friends and family they've been robbed while traveling abroad and need money sent to them ASAP.

Those were common about 5 years ago or so.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

You said she's Croatian. Is her wife Cambodian? Just curious..
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: RE: HELP My sister and her wife got robbed in Cambodia and we can't reach her, is anybody from Phnom Penh?

Post by Anchor Moy »

General Mackevili wrote:
olinko wrote: She sent a message via Facebook messenger that they got robbed and their papers were stolen, so I know they're okay at least, but now I can't even get a hold of her over the phone.
Assume you've heard from them by now?

I hope it wasn't those scamming messages that people send from your account when they hack your password telling your friends and family they've been robbed while traveling abroad and need money sent to them ASAP.

Those were common about 5 years ago or so.
Just speculating, but this seems more than possible. Why would you leave a message on FB if you just got robbed ? That means that the victim still has her smartphone so... :popcorn:
And no more sign of the OP. Maybe he/she has realised it was a scam ? Would be good to know if so.
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

Scam?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic