The Nationwide Orphan Scam

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
helpppp
Expatriate

Re: The Nationwide Orphan Scam

Post by helpppp »

I recently changed my mind on orphanages for the second time. When i was naive i thought they were fantastic for saving children and i wanted to give to them. And then I read the stories about them being fund raising machines but i was back in Cambodia a few weeks ago and I am back to thinking they are good things and ill tell u why.

Ive only been to one orphanage and all the kids had some english and were happy and clean and friendly and possibly had exposure to school and computers.

This visit I was taken to the outskirts and saw kids covered in spots - some wearing nothing at all. They had no English, no manners (snatching the stuff we took to give away) and I am not sure if they will ever go to school. These kids may be happy and their lives may be ok, but i think the kids in the orphanage have a better chance of sccess. But then again I measure success on how many possessions I have. Maybe success is playing in the park with no clothes on and selling food at the side of the road and having a big and loving family.

orphanges should maybe be managed as not for profit but i think that they probably give the kids a much better chance. maybe ill have my mind changed again - who knows
Retardedwaitress
Expatriate

Post by Retardedwaitress »

helpppp wrote:I recently changed my mind on orphanages for the second time. When i was naive i thought they were fantastic for saving children and i wanted to give to them. And then I read the stories about them being fund raising machines but i was back in Cambodia a few weeks ago and I am back to thinking they are good things and ill tell u why.

Ive only been to one orphanage and all the kids had some english and were happy and clean and friendly and possibly had exposure to school and computers.

This visit I was taken to the outskirts and saw kids covered in spots - some wearing nothing at all. They had no English, no manners (snatching the stuff we took to give away) and I am not sure if they will ever go to school. These kids may be happy and their lives may be ok, but i think the kids in the orphanage have a better chance of sccess. But then again I measure success on how many possessions I have. Maybe success is playing in the park with no clothes on and selling food at the side of the road and having a big and loving family.

orphanges should maybe be managed as not for profit but i think that they probably give the kids a much better chance. maybe ill have my mind changed again - who knows
They should learn that the western world has given them enough and nowadays the west has its own problems to deal with not some phoney NGO corrupt greedy khmer lexus drivers.
helpppp
Expatriate

Post by helpppp »

Maybe I don't know enough. Is the problem with the concept of giving kids a better chance or is it with the people who run the places. Would they be ok if they were run by people who didnt take advantage of the situation.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

how many of the kids are truly Orphans? That's the main problem, the parents abandon them to have a better life, than go home and make a few more.

Did u look at my post in how Burma is trying to stop the same thing happening there ?
As more foreigners visit the country, institutions that exploit children for money and also abuse are becoming more widespread, Unicef says
As Myanmar braces for mass arrivals following decades under military rule, Unicef is warning against the spread of “orphanage tourism”, whereby the institutionalised care of minors turns into a business, with children from poor families recruited to pose as orphans and extract money from well-meaning foreigners
Already firmly established in Cambodia and Indonesia, children separated from their families are exploited as fund-raising tools, and in some cases their living conditions are kept deliberately unsightly to extract donations from visitors.
Of the 17,322 children at registered orphanages in Myanmar, only 27% are actual orphans, Unicef found. It fears that the growth of orphanage tourism could separate many more minors from their families.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... r-opens-up
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

happiness is to realise to be happy with what you have
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic