LP's 2016 Top Destinations in Asia list.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

LP's 2016 Top Destinations in Asia list.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Lonely Planet recently released its annual list of top destinations to visit around the world, including the top 10 destinations in Asia.
Hokkaido, Japan, topped the list for its "year-round charms" and China’s "Shanghai" was second to Hokkaido as "the centre of the universe".
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/travel/ ... 96754.html

Photos here:
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/12/trave ... index.html

No mention of Cambodia. :cry:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: LP's 2016 Top Destinations in Asia list.

Post by hanno »

I really have to make it to Japan one day.

Taiwan is hugely underrated, loved the place.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Ipoh, Malaysia.?? been once an never saw a reason to return,very unfriendly people which is unusual for Malaysia.
Outside of the above only been to two others ( HK an islands off of Trang)

One place i really enjoyed yet cant recall seeing ever on a list was; Kumming China and the stone forest nearby
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

con dao, vietnam? WTH? few cheesy cement statues in those former prison cell, a top 10? :roll:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:Lonely Planet recently released its annual list of top destinations to visit around the world, including the top 10 destinations in Asia.
Hokkaido, Japan, topped the list for its "year-round charms" and China’s "Shanghai" was second to Hokkaido as "the centre of the universe".
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/travel/ ... 96754.html

Photos here:
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/12/trave ... index.html

No mention of Cambodia. :cry:
Good. Spread this around to the hipster/backpacker crowd they've been shamed by LP for being in Cambodia. :stir:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

bolueeleh wrote:con dao, vietnam? WTH? few cheesy cement statues in those former prison cell, a top 10? :roll:
A National Park with birds and turtles and unspoilt beaches ?
Protecting sea turtles on Côn Đảo Islands
Update: October, 02/2016 - 09:00
Côn Đảo National Park presently has 14 beaches, covering an area of thousands of square kilometres and providing nesting locations for various kinds of marine turtles, including green, hawksbill, leatherback and Olive Ridley turtles.

“From January to the end of August this year, the mother turtles dug about 2,000 nests on the islands, eggs from 978 nests were hatched and 79,481 baby turtles were released back into the sea,” says Nguyễn Đức Thắng, the manager of the Department of Marine and Wetland Conservation of Côn Đảo National Park.
http://vietnamnews.vn/sunday/features/3 ... lands.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

didnt see any turtles when i went there, maybe it wasnt the right time
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Lonely Planet is basically a disinformation campaign in support of Operation Mindfuck. Whatever they put out is about 10% accurate information randomly mixed in with 90% imaginary, fantasy, inaccurate, out-of-date stuff they pulled out their collective asses.

As for this list:

1. Hokkaido, Japan. Too fucking cold, year-round radiation.

2. Shanghai, China. Huge Chinese city. What's the appeal? Poor air quality? Overcrowding? Expensive shops, restaurants and accommodation?

3. Jeonju, South Korea. I like bibimbap, but this just sounds cold and boring.

4. Con Dao Islands, Vietnam. As bolueeleh says:
few cheesy cement statues in those former prison cell
Everything in Vietnam is "hidden". CEOCambodiaNews mentions
birds and turtles and unspoilt beaches?
In other words, there's nothing there. Welcome to Gilligan's Island.

5. Hong Kong, China. Huge Chinese city. Hundreds of skyscrapers. "A paradise for food and shopping" = not much to do. The UNESCO-designated Geopark = all the nature has been destroyed, so we had to make some fake green place.

6. Ipoh, Malaysia. "a crop of boutique cafes that have sprung up in its historic quarter" = snobby, snooty and retentious. Also, did not work out so well for Jim Thompson.

7. Pemuteran, Indonesia. Actually, this place sounds OK. This must be the 10% accurate part.

8. Trang Islands, Thailand. It's located in the Circus Formerly Known as Thailand. 'Nuff said!

9. Meghalaya, India. This place also sounds pretty cool.

10. Taitung, Taiwan, China(?). Another "secret" place. Sounds a bit like a cultural zoo. "Hey, everybody! Let's go check out some primitive people's village!"
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

hanno wrote:I really have to make it to Japan one day.

Taiwan is hugely underrated, loved the place.
yeah ive been dying to go to Japan like my whole life!
finally going to go next year when my tax rebate comes in i reckon, just needs to be done
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

sigmoid wrote:Lonely Planet is basically a disinformation campaign in support of Operation Mindfuck. Whatever they put out is about 10% accurate information randomly mixed in with 90% imaginary, fantasy, inaccurate, out-of-date stuff they pulled out their collective asses.

As for this list:

1. Hokkaido, Japan. Too fucking cold, year-round radiation.

2. Shanghai, China. Huge Chinese city. What's the appeal? Poor air quality? Overcrowding? Expensive shops, restaurants and accommodation?

3. Jeonju, South Korea. I like bibimbap, but this just sounds cold and boring.

4. Con Dao Islands, Vietnam. As bolueeleh says:
few cheesy cement statues in those former prison cell
Everything in Vietnam is "hidden". CEOCambodiaNews mentions
birds and turtles and unspoilt beaches?
In other words, there's nothing there. Welcome to Gilligan's Island.

5. Hong Kong, China. Huge Chinese city. Hundreds of skyscrapers. "A paradise for food and shopping" = not much to do. The UNESCO-designated Geopark = all the nature has been destroyed, so we had to make some fake green place.

6. Ipoh, Malaysia. "a crop of boutique cafes that have sprung up in its historic quarter" = snobby, snooty and retentious. Also, did not work out so well for Jim Thompson.

7. Pemuteran, Indonesia. Actually, this place sounds OK. This must be the 10% accurate part.

8. Trang Islands, Thailand. It's located in the Circus Formerly Known as Thailand. 'Nuff said!

9. Meghalaya, India. This place also sounds pretty cool.

10. Taitung, Taiwan, China(?). Another "secret" place. Sounds a bit like a cultural zoo. "Hey, everybody! Let's go check out some primitive people's village!"
I guess you haven't been to most of the places?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic