Calling Kiwis - tickets PP to NZ ?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Calling Kiwis - tickets PP to NZ ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

Thanks all. Here's my findings in case it's of use to someone.

Finally, didn't find anything very cheap through Oz, and the stopovers were killers - flight from hell stuff.

However, you can fly to KL and there are direct daily 10 hour(!) flights to AKL with Malaysian Airlines for about $950. So about $1100 in all with Air Asia to KL. It's not dirt cheap, but it's quick, simple and flying with a proper airline. Only snag is that the flight from KL leaves before the first flight arrives from PP, so there will be about 10 hours wait if you get the latest PP-KL flight.

Next question: where to find cheap beer in KL airport? :beer3:
Singularian
Expatriate

Post by Singularian »

KL airport is the pits.

How far ahead are you booking? I need to head home in Oct and guess I should be (reluctantly) getting my shit together.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

The KLIA sure is - isn't the rebuild due to open by then?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Singularian wrote:KL airport is the pits.

How far ahead are you booking? I need to head home in Oct and guess I should be (reluctantly) getting my shit together.
Next Jan/Feb - quite ahead of myself, but I prefer to get it booked so I can forget about it for a while.

Why is KL the pits? Do they have a 24/24 minimart ? Smoking rooms? That's about all I need, and somewhere to sleep probably.
Any airport is going to be a drag for 11h, but had 8h in Changi in March which was ok - confortable seats where you can sleep, a cheap foodhall and a minimart.

What's that about a rebuild - maybe it'll be finished by the time I leave?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Sorry, I was referring to AirAsia's LCCT -LCCT2 is due to open shortly. Personally I like KLIA, but not the long runs when they have adjoining flights physically far apart on a short transit. A little like Changi.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Update on tickets to NZ - Malaysia Airlines are now doing some very reasonable deals. (Surprise!)

Round trip PP to AKL on MA through KL was something like $1250 - only takes 14 hours each way including 2h stopover - leave PP at 11:00 and arrive at 13:00. Very civilized.

Seems good to me. It's fast,a good timetable, and 30 kg of luggage can be booked straight through to AKL.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

^ as long as they promise to not fly to NZ via Ukraine, that would be a good deal. A friend got PNH to London for $800 with MA the other day.
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

Malaysian Airlines is the quickest connection times if you catch flight leaving NZ just after midnight. They have some specials at off peak times. Return best is 5pm from Phnom Penh.

Just keep an eye on Air NZ and Singapore Airlines which willl be increasing flights from Auckland to Singapore in next few months. Had a one way for $380 (NZ) a few days ago.

Forget Jet Star as they no longer fly Auckland to Singapore.

Thai -Southern China- Cathay all worth a look but stopovers not as good as Malaysian Airlines.
Singularian
Expatriate

Post by Singularian »

I just got one way PP - KL (1.5hr stopover)- AUCK for NZ$647, was pretty happy with that till I went to book Auckland to Napier -$199, thieving bastards.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Singularian wrote:I just got one way PP - KL (1.5hr stopover)- AUCK for NZ$647, was pretty happy with that till I went to book Auckland to Napier -$199, thieving bastards.
I haven't got as far as booking a domestic flight yet. Thanks for the reminder. Maybe hiring a car is a better deal? It would just be for a one day trip to drop off when we get to where we're going.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic