At the risk of triggering a religious flamewar...

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
dontbelievethehype
Tourist
United States of America

Re: At the risk of triggering a religious flamewar...

Post by dontbelievethehype »

I think a seperate folder for Religion/Philosophy could be worthwhile.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

dagenham wrote:We're in Cambodia as commissioned (that is, a Church of Christ congregation has 'sent us out' under their name/letterhead) missionaries, but our sole goal here is to provide free education (I'm a Professor of Education (Languages), Mrs Stroppy has multiple diplomas in business process, HR, etc) - no religious strings, no Christian overtures, nada. Just free education to those that can't afford it. The mouth-foamers won't be able to accept that, because they can't conceive of doing good for others just out of humanity - much easier to sit behind a beer and lob grenades from the relative anonymity of the Internet. But do we truly care what those expats think of our motivation and purpose for being here. Honestly, not in the least.

To get religious for just a moment, Christ gave us two new commandments - a) to go out into the whole world and preach His gospel, and b) to be good to others, especially those who have it harder than us, in the same way that He would be if He were physically here. The local churches have the first point sewn up in spades - the uptake of Christianity through indigenous churches is phenomenal here, they don't need us to either tell them their business or get involved. Like the kid who gave his lunch and in turn fed the masses, we bring what we have (education) to those that don't have it and can't get it unless someone empowers them to change their circumstances.

After teaching in Australia for 20 years, and being rewarded with a nice little redundancy payout from the government, I have the opportunity to do what I want for a change (see? a selfish motivation!) and get back to teaching people who want to learn."

In context you wrote the above. So...you're not a CofC member, eh? Convenient lie/half-truth there, eh? CofC sends good 'ol boy Stroppy, the non-CofC member in their name and with their funds? Liberal, love all thy Brothers, inclusive, warm and fuzzy Stroppy?
Yes, correct, we are NOT Church of Christ members and nor do we receive (or have ever received) any funding from any source other than my severance payment from the WA State Government. The 'commissioned' part that you've got yourself hung up on constitutes the equivalent of a letter of introduction/reference from one of the national leaders, a prayer and a blessing. Not that I would be ashamed to be a Church of Christ member, the Australian form of this denomination is quite different to the cult that you've been bashing on about like some sad old hack. No half truths or lies (because frankly your opinion of me isn't worth enough to me to lie to you) and we've covered this ground before. Honestly, though, is good to see you writing in full and in context - to date you haven't had it in you.
And Christ gave "who exactly" them 2 brand freashly-minted commandments? To you personally? CofC exclusively? Or can Presbyterians and Catholics use them new-fangled Commandments too?
You idiot! That's from the gospels, not from me - I thought you claimed to know what you were talking about. This applies to ALL Christians.
Oh yeah, CofC aint evangelists, right? They don't be spreadin' da "good word", being a'convertin' nada...They jez be minding their own biznezz and not bein' hot and bothered 'bout no non-believers in dem po' 3rd world places, right? Right...Brutha....

You be talkin' shite...yet again..all in the name of CofC's version of JC...hmmm...
You really are a miserable old git. You're a real pain in the ass but I've become fond of you, you make me chuckle. Seriously, how about we rack up a few beers and see if that doesn't cheer you up a bit? You could call me some names, tell me your story, call me a few more names... by this point I would feel comfortable reminding you that you're a miserable, idiotic old bugger, and we'd still be friends who argue about religion.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

horace wrote:I enjoyed reading that banter between raindog,stoppy,dags and the new fella. Cheers to you all and please continue

Sent from my RM-941_apac_sea_331 using Tapatalk
Agreed, carry on...

Time and place for everything, and the Asinine Arena is the perfect time and place, LoL.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
khmerinade
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by khmerinade »

Rain Dog wrote:
khmerinade wrote:It's good to see that there are some of you out there with quite a lot of time on your hands.
Not enough time to post on threads I have no interest in though.
It is interesting to me, and I'm not offended by the discussion in the least. Just not interested in the constant banter back and forth. I don't see anyone turning a 180 on their beliefs anytime soon..
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

khmerinade wrote: I don't see anyone turning a 180 on their beliefs anytime soon..
Really? I'd say Dagenham appears to be on the fence now. He could go either way in a day or 2.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
khmerinade
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by khmerinade »

General Mackevili wrote:
khmerinade wrote: I don't see anyone turning a 180 on their beliefs anytime soon..
Really? I'd say Dagenham appears to be on the fence now. He could go either way in a day or 2.
hahaha! :ROFL2:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I'm hoping to baptise him over the weekend. Possibly more than once.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

khmerinade wrote:
Rain Dog wrote:
khmerinade wrote:It's good to see that there are some of you out there with quite a lot of time on your hands.
Not enough time to post on threads I have no interest in though.
It is interesting to me, and I'm not offended by the discussion in the least. Just not interested in the constant banter back and forth. I don't see anyone turning a 180 on their beliefs anytime soon..
It is not so much about turning 180 on belief systems as it is calling out someone out on hateful bullshit; particularly when he usually presents himself as a "nice guy".

I called him out here https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/viewtop ... =50#p14395

and he has avoided replying.

I have also called him on his "sources" as he clearly has an axe to grind and is posting a lot of misinformation --- yet he refuses to reveal them.

Dagenham has pushed him a lot on what exactly his relationship is with CoC and he only replies with a lot of personal abuse and name calling with a mention that he "paid his way" here. His relationship with CoC remains unaddressed otherwise.

I could care less what he believes, but if he is going to spam hate propaganda like "Islam promotes rape", "bondage"etc --- while at the same time presenting a "nice guy veneer" I will continue to call him on it.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

How is it that you're more offended than the Muslim guy that posted the original post, RD? Your moral outrage in this is well out of proportion - and frankly I just haven't gotten around to responding to you yet because life happens. But by all means, carry on.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

StroppyChops wrote:How is it that you're more offended than the Muslim guy that posted the original post, RD? Your moral outrage in this is well out of proportion - and frankly I just haven't gotten around to responding to you yet because life happens. But by all means, carry on.
It is not up to you to decide how offended I have a right to be or not to be. i gave you my personal background as to my views on this topic already. You also have no idea of how offended he is or I am.

The proper Islamic approach by the way is to simply state your case and move on as it a sin (waste of time) to debate anything with "haters". Perhaps he will take this approach -- I do not know. I am not willing to give you that luxury.

As to not avoiding answering my post -- BS again --- you made the time to personally attack Dagenham and try to smooth things with G-Mach by joking about baptisms etc. But questions remain unanswered.

I actually tried to give you a chance to climb down from your first hateful post --- but you chose to double down instead.

Here is an excerpt from an excellent article on the topic:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/todd-gree ... 08761.html

emphasis mine.

"We should pride ourselves on making room for diverse Muslim voices in public discourse. We should demonstrate a fierce commitment to getting our facts right about what Muslims do and do not believe concerning such hot-button issues as gender relations, violence and democracy. We should strive for a just society in which Muslims are not singled out for surveillance, profiling or other forms of discrimination simply because fringe organizations such as al Qaeda invoke Islam when carrying out terrorist acts. And if doing all of this makes us "guilty" of political correctness, then so be it. Guilty as charged!

Political correctness is often presented as a sign of cowardice. It is not. It takes courage to stand up to the powerful Islamophobia Industry and to call it out for its bigotry and hatemongering. It takes courage to tell truths about our Muslim neighbors and to stand in solidarity with them when they are unjustly singled out for hostility and discrimination. It takes courage to be "politically correct." And thanks to Saba Ahmed, we have a clear example of what this courage looks like in action."

The author of this particular article (who appears even more offended than I am BTW) sets an excellent example of a positive Christian approach towards the issue. Before you reply in another burst of anger and pride (about being called on your disinformation) -- perhaps you should read this article, reflect, and consider the differences in your approach to his. I am not trying to be personal here --- you really need to look at how you are presenting yourself today.

The example you are setting today is not a very good one. I much preferred the "Old Stroppy" --- but today is sort of like a kid finding out Santa Claus does not exist -- the "New Stroppy a snarling Islamophobe". Credit to Dagenham for calling it early. I was taken in. He must be laughing his ass off now.

Meanwhile the points made in my post (linked above), your sources, and Dagenham's questions about the specifics of your arrangements with CoC remain unaddressed.

Cheers,

RD
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic