Explain a barfine please?

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Explain a barfine please?

Post by General Mackevili »

vladimir wrote:Why do you people take your phones with you to girlie bars? Seriously?
Um, because we take them everywhere maybe?

5+ years in Cambodia, and the only place my phone went missing was from my home when I wasn't there.

You do the math.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

dan1el wrote:My friend came to Cambodia 18 months earlier and met and became good friends with owner of the bar so its seems even more odd he would take the word of a bar girl who he said had only worked in his bar 3 nights to someone he thought off as his mate. Is the bunny bar owner right or should he have done more? What do you think?
You really find out what bar owners here are made of when money is involved. Some are just out and out arseholes and some are excellent. Looks like your mate found the former.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Damn, I just noticed he charged the guy for the drinks he had while he waited. Ouch.

Again, I don't think the owner is responsible, but he could have tried to be a little nicer and/or more helpful.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

These girls typically bar hop, work a few weeks at one and move on to others, sometimes coming back.

A bar fine of $10 is always ridiculous when they pay them $80 a month lol :-)
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I lock everything down before going out, take an inventory before the girl leaves, and have such a crappy phone none of them would be caught dead stealing it. Maybe the big tactical black Kukri laying on the night stand lets them know I take a dim view of thieves.
Flexnez
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Flexnez »

thePeck wrote:
It makes the bar owner a pimp...
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

Flexnez wrote:
thePeck wrote:
Exactly and that's all we're dealing with here folks.
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

thePeck wrote:
Flexnez wrote:
thePeck wrote:
it could include the lost profit of missed ladydrinks.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

bong.kuit wrote:
thePeck wrote:
Flexnez wrote:
thePeck wrote:
it could include the lost profit of missed ladydrinks.
It does - hostess bars make money (obviously) on what the guys drink plus lady drinks. The girls make money on the basic plus lady drinks, Girls I know that generally dont go out with customers make 200-300 all up. This is obviously good for both the bar and girl. If a lot of girls are out punters dont want to stay in the bar for obvious reasons and the bar loses money, so a $10 bar fine is pretty reasonable. Of course a lot of guys, mainly tourists (but not always) just want sex only and the hostess bar is not the best option, they would be better with "pick up bars" and brothels to cut the expenses of "chatting up" the hostess which some punters dont particularly want to do.

The down side is that if you go for the cheap option you often get the roughest girls. They might be really sexy, good looking and etc but are the girs that are often "under clas"s ie brought up on the street and suddenly old enough to work in a bar. They will do anything for you but you need to "screw everything down" In this case cheap might not be least expensive.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Paying a barfine is to compensate the bar owner for taking out a member of his staff. The girls bring him profits, take one (or more) away and he's losing profits. That's why number of places don't charge one if it's late at night or if you've been there drinking a while.

It ALSO means the girl is now technically a "free agent". The barfine terminates her employment for the evening, what she does with her time after that is up to her. And anything she does wrong in that time is also up to her, and not the owners liability/responsibility. It was nice of him to give the guy back the barfine and comp the drinks... but not at all necessary.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic