6.3 earthquake in PI, near Davao, Mindanao.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

6.3 earthquake in PI, near Davao, Mindanao.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Magnitude 6.3 quake shakes Philippines' Mindanao island
Posted 24 Sep 2016 07:25 Updated 24 Sep 2016 09:30

DAVAO, Philippines: A strong earthquake of magnitude 6.3 struck off the Philippine's Mindanao island on Saturday, sending hotel guests and construction workers running from buildings in Davao, but there were no immediate reports of damage.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake, initially reported as a magnitude 6.5, struck at 6:53 a.m. (23:53 BST on Friday) and was centered 114 km (71 miles) east of Davao on Mindanao.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asi ... 52264.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: 6.3 earthquake in PI, near Davao, Mindanao.

Post by Sailorman »

As far as I can learn, recordkeeping for the area of Cambodia stated in the 1880s. According to records there has never been an earthquake in the Sihanoukville area since the 1880's. Can you imagine how many substandard building that are built in Cambodia would be still left standing after a 4.0 or more earthquake here? Not very many left standing. Scary thought.
Retardedwaitress
Expatriate

Post by Retardedwaitress »

Yeh now reporting om everey third word earth quake.
Dullard
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

have a week off for using big words mr smarty
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Sailorman wrote:As far as I can learn, recordkeeping for the area of Cambodia stated in the 1880s. According to records there has never been an earthquake in the Sihanoukville area since the 1880's. Can you imagine how many substandard building that are built in Cambodia would be still left standing after a 4.0 or more earthquake here? Not very many left standing. Scary thought.
No need to be scared anymore SM, Cambodia's best minds have just started thinking about this... :ugeek:
https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/topic10543.html
Michael Nhim, head of the investment team at SIDO Group, said he contemplated installing an earthquake proof system from Japan when he was working on a 17-storey hotel in Phnom Penh recently.

“I ask for all the high building developers to start thinking about this problem because of climate change,” Nhim said.

“Sooner or later, there will be an earthquake in Cambodia.

“I have never heard the MLMUPC talk about this problem, so I ask for the ministry to think about this,” he said.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-prope ... s-cambodia

In the same article, they say that in Cambodia, apartment blocks are built to withstand a quake of 4 on the Richter scale, highrises up to 5 or 6, and the new mega-highrise twin tower project will be able to withstand a quake of 9. The new skyscrapers probably pay the most attention to safety measures; I'd be less sure about the small to medium apartment blocks and hotels.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

''In the same article, they say that in Cambodia, apartment blocks are built to withstand a quake of 4 on the Richter scale, highrises up to 5 or 6, and the new mega-highrise twin tower project will be able to withstand a quake of 9. The new skyscrapers probably pay the most attention to safety measures; I'd be less sure about the small to medium apartment blocks and hotels.

Uh-huh, so so believable. At least being coastal I could nick a boat & make a getaway. Sure ain't gonna be driving anywhere.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"At least being coastal I could nick a boat & make a getaway."

You ride that tsunami boy, ride it! With luck you could visit either the New ruins of Angkor or the flooded sois of Bangkok and not need a visa.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

the mekong at PP is only a little over 1 m above mean sea level
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic