In search of Ben Edict

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: In search of Ben Edict

Post by Soi Dog »

Pardon the picture, as many of you know, Cavern is dark (and hot) inside. The picture doesn't do them justice. Definitely the worst “eating experience” of the bunch in terms of comfort (but I still go there regularly). One major problem is that their English muffins aren't what I'd call (or anyone else I'd think) english muffins. They were large, but didn't have the big holes which english muffns typically have, nor did they have the same consistency. They just tasted like a heavy bread. Not sure if it was a yeast problem, or maybe they didn't use enough lard to make them, but they're not english muffins... Maybe it was a one-off (first time making them), or maybe English people have a different “version” of English muffins... Either way, they didn't look or taste like I thought they ought to. On the plus side, they were quite large and very heavy, so they fill you up nicely. So I guess it's not all bad. The sauce was good, but not lemony enough for my taste. The highlight of Cavern's eggs benedict is probably their ham. Very thinly sliced (so you don't get much), but it somehow tasted superior to other places. Crowd of rowdy Englishmen among others. Good value at 5.5$.
There is a review you won't see on that other forum. :lol:
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

Metro kills it for me.

Google Serious Eats for both poached egg and Hollandaise recipes.
Using Tapatalk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Worked really well, but I don't really need a microwave here (or rather, I've managed without one for years now) so have to try the old-fashioned way.
I think I'd die without mine, though part of that is my work schedule and being up all night. The wife makes up nice big batches of food and we eat together in the evening, then the leftovers go in the fridge for me to eat while i'm up all night.

Not a huge amount of late night food options here, and it's better than spending a ton eating out anyway. And I don't like cooking at night when I'm supposed to be working... though last night this thread (and her having picked up some fresh soft baguettes yesterday) inspired me to make a badass bacon and egg sandwich.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

OrangeDragon wrote:Oh man, totally missed that. Boy do I have egg on my face...
Owned by Jess!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

kiwiincambodia wrote:
JessB52 wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:Microwave poached eggs are eggcellent, eggcept for the ones that eggsplode.
Fixed that for you ;-)
Double fixed that for you.
Triple fixed.
SCORE!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

JBTrain wrote:Metro kills it for me.

Google Serious Eats for both poached egg and Hollandaise recipes.
I have to say they were probably my favourite in terms of taste. Given that the 8$ includes a tip, it's also not terrible value, but definitely pricier than the other places. Cavern actually included a coffee or tea (forgot to mention).

OrangeDragon wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Worked really well, but I don't really need a microwave here (or rather, I've managed without one for years now) so have to try the old-fashioned way.
I think I'd die without mine, though part of that is my work schedule and being up all night. The wife makes up nice big batches of food and we eat together in the evening, then the leftovers go in the fridge for me to eat while i'm up all night.

Not a huge amount of late night food options here, and it's better than spending a ton eating out anyway. And I don't like cooking at night when I'm supposed to be working... though last night this thread (and her having picked up some fresh soft baguettes yesterday) inspired me to make a badass bacon and egg sandwich.
I must admit there are times when a microwave would kick ass... I have to reheat everything in a frying pan, lol. I'll try out chat n' chew and other places on 172. Surely some of these cheap eats have decent eggs benedict.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

The place I stay at in PP has a free breakfast, one of the items on the menu is 2 eggs any style.

I asked for poached eggs .. the answer was "cannot".

I can understand that, poached eggs can be hard to do... one culinary art I have not yet mastered... although I do make a mean hollandaise sauce.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

^ ask the General where quality mayonnaise comes from.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

StroppyChops wrote:^ ask the General where quality mayonnaise comes from.
Le Orchidee.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Went to Chat n Chew yesterday but they don't have eggs benedict.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic