At the risk of triggering a religious flamewar...

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
khmerinade
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: At the risk of triggering a religious flamewar...

Post by khmerinade »

It's good to see that there are some of you out there with quite a lot of time on your hands.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

khmerinade wrote:It's good to see that there are some of you out there with quite a lot of time on your hands.
Not enough time to post on threads I have no interest in though.
Last edited by Rain Dog on Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

vladimir wrote:It's getting bad when vladimir has to tell people that this thread is stupid and going nowhere.

However, I will not deny it may be amusing to some people.
Nothing ever wrong against speaking out against bigotry.

That said I think this forum should probably have a separate folder for politics and religion. There is nothing "asinine" about the topic but it is probably too heavy for those of you that just want chit-chat.

>>>> GeneralMach ^^^^
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Rain Dog wrote:
>>>> GeneralMach ^^^^
The reason we have this forum is to discuss topics that we don't want clogging up the General Chatter forum, which is mainly for discussing general topics you'd expect on a Cambodia expat forum.

It's not meant to be disrespectful of any of the topics.

Any suggestions for renaming this forum? Something catchy/clever would be nice.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

The Stew
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

General Mackevili wrote:
Rain Dog wrote:
>>>> GeneralMach ^^^^
The reason we have this forum is to discuss topics that we don't want clogging up the General Chatter forum, which is mainly for discussing general topics you'd expect on a Cambodia expat forum.

Nah -- I think "Asinine" is fine for the really stupid stuff and flame wars etc.

I was suggesting a separate folder in addition for those topics that tend to turn into more long winded debates that are not really Asinine but get into some long posts and arguments (Like Politics and Religion).

Creative name ---- let me think .................. Drumroll ..............

How about the "Thinking Man's Section"

:mrgreen:
horace
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by horace »

I enjoyed reading that banter between raindog,stoppy,dags and the new fella. Cheers to you all and please continue

Sent from my RM-941_apac_sea_331 using Tapatalk
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

The Chili Room?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

StroppyChops wrote: Dage's, responding to your verbal diarrhea is a fun way to waste time, but before we go on with your BS, quote me (in full context, you deceitful old bastard!) as ever saying I'm a Church of Christ member... or just go back to your beer.

You made assumptions that you never clarified, and ran with them. Oh, and wipe your chin, you've dribbled something unpleasant.
"We're in Cambodia as commissioned (that is, a Church of Christ congregation has 'sent us out' under their name/letterhead) missionaries, but our sole goal here is to provide free education (I'm a Professor of Education (Languages), Mrs Stroppy has multiple diplomas in business process, HR, etc) - no religious strings, no Christian overtures, nada. Just free education to those that can't afford it. The mouth-foamers won't be able to accept that, because they can't conceive of doing good for others just out of humanity - much easier to sit behind a beer and lob grenades from the relative anonymity of the Internet. But do we truly care what those expats think of our motivation and purpose for being here. Honestly, not in the least.

To get religious for just a moment, Christ gave us two new commandments - a) to go out into the whole world and preach His gospel, and b) to be good to others, especially those who have it harder than us, in the same way that He would be if He were physically here. The local churches have the first point sewn up in spades - the uptake of Christianity through indigenous churches is phenomenal here, they don't need us to either tell them their business or get involved. Like the kid who gave his lunch and in turn fed the masses, we bring what we have (education) to those that don't have it and can't get it unless someone empowers them to change their circumstances.

After teaching in Australia for 20 years, and being rewarded with a nice little redundancy payout from the government, I have the opportunity to do what I want for a change (see? a selfish motivation!) and get back to teaching people who want to learn."

In context you wrote the above. So...you're not a CofC member, eh? Convenient lie/half-truth there, eh? CofC sends good 'ol boy Stroppy, the non-CofC member in their name and with their funds? Liberal, love all thy Brothers, inclusive, warm and fuzzy Stroppy?

And Christ gave "who exactly" them 2 brand freashly-minted commandments? To you personally? CofC exclusively? Or can Presbyterians and Catholics use them new-fangled Commandments too?

Oh yeah, CofC aint evangelists, right? They don't be spreadin' da "good word", being a'convertin' nada...They jez be minding their own biznezz and not bein' hot and bothered 'bout no non-believers in dem po' 3rd world places, right? Right...Brutha....

You be talkin' shite...yet again..all in the name of CofC's version of JC...hmmm...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Rain Dog wrote:
Nah -- I think "Asinine" is fine for the really stupid stuff and flame wars etc.

I was suggesting a separate folder in addition for those topics that tend to turn into more long winded debates that are not really Asinine but get into some long posts and arguments (Like Politics and Religion).

Creative name ---- let me think .................. Drumroll ..............

How about the "Thinking Man's Section"

:mrgreen:
LoL! ! Now that would be a funny name for it!

The problem is we can't just keep adding more and more forums...
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic