41 men in 16-seat minivan stopped by police.

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

41 men in 16-seat minivan stopped by police.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Police in Thailand have found 41 men crammed inside a 16-seater minivan.

Footage posted on Facebook on Sunday showed officers counting the men as they got out of the vehicle. The minivan appeared to be a Toyota Commuter, a popular van used to link cities across the country.

It was not clear where or when the van was stopped. Some Thai Facebook users commenting on the video said the men appeared to be migrant workers.

Despite the crush, the travellers did not break any records. Last year, the same number of people squeezed into a five-seater Toyota Rav4 in Krasnoyarsk, Russia, earning them entry into the Guinness World Records for the most people crammed in a large car.

A World Health Organisation study last year revealed that Thailand has the second-highest road fatality rate after Libya...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... er-minivan
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: 41 men in 16-seat minivan stopped by police.

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i came back from Kampong Cham a couple of years ago in a Khmer style minivan, 11 seats, 25 people, 2 babies, everyones luggage and a motorbike
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Some Thai Facebook users commenting on the video said the men appeared to be migrant workers.
Quality tourists, actually. Thailand is experiencing a "surge in numbers". dontcha know? :lol:

Anyway, it's quite befitting of the Circus formerly known as Thailand.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

This is a Thai variant of the lame joke about two taxicabs colliding in Aberdeen and thirty
Scotsmen being taken to hospital.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:i came back from Kampong Cham a couple of years ago in a Khmer style minivan, 11 seats, 25 people, 2 babies, everyones luggage and a motorbike
The most I've seen in one van was 23, including the babies, but there was also at least one chicken. Couldn't believe it when we stopped to pick up yet another bag of rice on the road out've town. :shock:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:i came back from Kampong Cham a couple of years ago in a Khmer style minivan, 11 seats, 25 people, 2 babies, everyones luggage and a motorbike
The most I've seen in one van was 23, including the babies, but there was also at least one chicken. Couldn't believe it when we stopped to pick up yet another bag of rice on the road out've town. :shock:
yeah i was in Kampong Cham for the Khmer New Year, so was pretty busy there was 4 of us and it was a nightmare trying to find a bus that wasnt already full (overflowing)
was an experience though, a little less comfy than when there was 8 of us in a Taxi from SHV > PP, there was 2 people sat in the drivers seat haha
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I've been in those 5 times or so and I always swear it'll be the last. First time was heading down to Kampot before the road was paved. Got there after dark and totally covered in red dust. The other times were bringing a dirtbike to either Stung Treng or Koh Kong in order to avoid extra mileage on new tires. Fuck me, takes forever and despite intentionally paying a "premium" to get more space. Passenger to the left of the driver, myself sitting on one butt cheek the whole time, alternating. Later on I made it a point of not giving away extra space. Legs spread out, refusing to give more of my seat. Did the same in India, much to the dismay of other passengers. Actually the guys going to Stung Treng were alright so I kept their card. Fairly good time and after Kompong Thom it was fast.

Oh, and gotta love the "yeah we go now" line, followed by tying up the bike in the back and then waiting 1h for extra passengers... Every. Fucking. Time.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

''I've been in those 5 times or so and I always swear it'll be the last.

Obviously not!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Oh, and gotta love the "yeah we go now" line, followed by tying up the bike in the back and then waiting 1h for extra passengers... Every. Fucking. Time.
:shock: yes! its always on a real hot/stuffy day as well! :suicide: :BangHead:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic