A Cabbie Abroad S01E01 Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Re: A Cabbie Abroad S01E01 Cambodia

Post by Milord »

Reading the history, the "Aleutian Island/Chain natives" were pretty primitive with "shaman witchdoctors" and brutal customs.

Not to mention that the Russian fur traders blasted them with cannons and turned them into slaves.

Some shaman's were stirring up some shit so a Captain took them on board and shaved their long hair (which was powerful medicine) and burned it. When the Bald Shamans were returned to shore everybody laughed and this ended their power and control.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: A Cabbie Abroad S01E01 Cambodia

Post by Sailorman »

It took me years to get the trust of my native/Eskimo friends, and have them admit that there are still shamans. I used to buy and sell ivory, carvings and dug up artifacts. I once saw three centuries old "shaman dolls." They were dug up on a place in the Bering Sea called Punik Island by St. Lawrence Island. I didn't have enough money for even one much less three as just one was worth big $$$$$ and probably headed to a museum or rich collector. In storage in America I still have a few pieces left including a couple of seal spear points dating back many centuries.

Eskimos still believe in their animist beliefs and they mix it with their Christian beliefs. If an Eskimo is out on the ice (usually hunting or fishing) and a single person walks up to him that he doesn't know, he will run as that is a changeling and an evil entity. In the past if you were a good hunter you had a wife, if you were a great hunter you had a couple wives, if you were a rotten hunter there were dogs. Dogs in the past Eskimo culture had no soul so were far game.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic