The Coffee Saga

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
khmerinade
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: The Coffee Saga

Post by khmerinade »

cafe tuck dah koh tuh kawh. It's really not that hard.
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

Yeah, it's easy and I could write it in Khmer to help me order or I could explain the process of making it in great detail to aid comprehension.
The point was more that café staff don't listen or hear what you're saying 'cause you're barang.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Rama wrote:Yeah, it's easy and I could write it in Khmer to help me order or I could explain the process of making it in great detail to aid comprehension.
The point was more that café staff don't listen or hear what you're saying 'cause you're barang.
It's not just about barangs. My Khmer wife often complains that restaurant staff simply don't pat attention when she orders. I've noticed, in my 13 years of teaching here, is that it's very difficult to get Khmers to actually pay close attention to what one person is saying.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
khmerinade
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by khmerinade »

That's also true.. sometimes they don't believe we can speak khmer and so they don't listen before we even start speaking.. then a look of shock on their faces as they hear you can.. Many times i get "Oiy! Niyeay chubah man" and other times i have the other customers near me repeating my order to the staff while they stand there with a confused look on their face.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Got pork and rice this morning from another seller, absolutely no problem.

I didn't feel lucky enough to ask for coffee...
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
khmerinade
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by khmerinade »

I'm enjoying some baw baw trey at the moment.. delicious.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

khmerinade wrote:That's also true.. sometimes they don't believe we can speak khmer and so they don't listen before we even start speaking.. then a look of shock on their faces as they hear you can.. Many times i get "Oiy! Niyeay chubah man" and other times i have the other customers near me repeating my order to the staff while they stand there with a confused look on their face.
I've had that experience at Psar Thmey when trying to buy a small backpack. I asked the women about three times in Khmer how much she wanted for the bag and she just stared at me until the guy owning the next stall interjected with "He wants to buy that bag you daft c**t" (or something like that although not quite as extreme). He followed up with "she can't understand Khmer she's "Yuon" The woman was not amused but I and the other stall owner thought it very funny. :lol:
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

That was a hoot, Vlad.

Same happens in Thailand. While I speak some very very basic Thai, I've often had other Thai customers or the GF say exactly what I said to a stunned store clerk who seemed to wake up and act upon my request. I have had western friends who speak and understand Thai to a high degree be greeted with motionless silence. A repeat doesn't seem to gain them any ground. What's even stranger is, why does a nearby Thai (or Khmer) understand but not the clerk? One for the psychologists.

In a related topic, I only drink my whisky straight. I know every phrase in Thai to say no ice, soda, coke, etc. After I say mai sai naam keng, "piu piu" etc., I am asked "on the rocks"? Which almost always has me fall over in laughter. Mai chai. They still bring the drink out with ice.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic