Loyalty and Security

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Forktongue2
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Loyalty and Security

Post by Forktongue2 »

So you are here in PP years and years, in and out. Many expats doing the same thing. Kids overseas? work ? numerous things why we come and go, back and forth to Cambodia .We love the life in Cambodia and return time and again.

For me I thought it may last forever. Bliss!

Also the delight of my home country, everything works, people let you in to a busy intersection on the highway and wave. Say sorry if they touch you accidentally.
All your favourite foods, your mum , dad ,brother's, sisters. Perfect.

No Khmers will ever behave as we do in the West and we should be on our guard at all times! Really?

Then one day my life is turned upside down.

A fellow countryman sucker punches me at a well known bar. He feels vindicated. I feel violated.

My Cambodian family ,who include police, want revenge.

I am done.

So do you feel more secure hanging out with westerners's you hardly know?
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: Loyalty and Security

Post by Soi Dog »

I'm not a proponent of violence, but some people DO deserve to get punched in the face on occasion. Did you have it coming?
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

Revenge is dumb.
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

Did he sucker punch you, or did you have fair warning?
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

Forktongue2 wrote: So do you feel more secure hanging out with westerners's you hardly know?
Seriously ? I did not know if you notice but among the expat population in Cambodia you have quite a high concentration of :

- drug addict (alcohol included) or at least often under influence.
- people constantly short for money
- people who are here because for one reason or another they cannot be elsewhere.

So no I would not feel particularly secure hanging out with unknown characters. After of course depend where you meet them.
sanjuro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by sanjuro »

It seems everyone is on the take here. Everyone.
The concept of loyalty is so fncking skewed. It's gossipy as hell.
I don't go out of my way to meet other barang. Often they've got a chip on their shoulder, or they're adopting some pose they themselves might not even be aware of.

It's great to hear your Khmer family went up to bat with you.

Why did he surprise attack? Tell us some background, some possibilities.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Forktongue2 wrote:
For me I thought it may last forever. Bliss!

Then one day my life is turned upside down.

I am done.
Why would you be done ?
These things can happen anywhere
Once you are part of Cambodia of course the system will assist/protect you
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Post by HotRecruiter »

BLOOD FEUD!!!!!!!!!!
Forktongue2
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by Forktongue2 »

ryoon wrote:
Forktongue2 wrote: So do you feel more secure hanging out with westerners's you hardly know?
Seriously ? I did not know if you notice but among the expat population in Cambodia you have quite a high concentration of :

- drug addict (alcohol included) or at least often under influence.
- people constantly short for money
- people who are here because for one reason or another they cannot be elsewhere.

So no I would not feel particularly secure hanging out with unknown characters. After of course depend where you meet them.
Of course you never know how things pan out, but you have a tight circle of friends built over many years and one of your friends introduces a new person to the group and hence a wider circle of targets. I /we as a group have NOT vetted him as an individual or as part of a group or have no recollection who passed our low entry test,but we number less than 6. We allowed a F***ing violent thug in our mists. Bar owners are not the problem its the people who sit with them. And since our group is now no more.
Forktongue2
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by Forktongue2 »

You can't rely on your so called expat friends in Cambodia. Wait until it happens to you.!

Looking forward to getting back to PP and going solo again as in 2007 , not the same, but great to get back and on on a mission again.

Happy XMAS and Happy New Year
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic