Cambodian Village Chief Died Because His iPhone Electrocuted Him While It Was Charging

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 11735
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Karma: 284
Location: CEO Newsroom
Cambodia

Cambodian Village Chief Died Because His iPhone Electrocuted Him While It Was Charging

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:04 am

Phnom Penh, Cambodia: iPhone Claimed Village Chief Life:

A village chief was electrocuted and died in his sleep. He was holding his iPhone on his chest when it was being charged. At one point, he was shocked via the phone. The incident happened around 4:00 pm on 11 September 2016.

The victim is identified as Kim Pov, male, 44 years old, a village chief, living in dangkor district, Phnom Penh.

Police examined the body and confirmed that the victim died from electric shock as he put his phone on his chest while charging it.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image of the damage:
Spoiler:
Image
Cambodia Expats Online News: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else.

Looking for the best deals on hotels in these cities?

Book through Agoda:

Phnom Penh
Siem Reap
Sihanoukville
Kampot
Koh Rong
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 11162
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Karma: 702
Location: Pig Penh
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Cambodian Village Chief Died Because His iPhone Electrocuted Him While It Was Charging

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:42 am

pretty fucked up, there are so many of these stories that get shared around on facebook that always turn out to be fake, but this one actually appears to have happened?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
mammothboy2
Expatriate
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:09 pm
Karma: 0

Re: Cambodian Village Chief Died Because His iPhone Electrocuted Him While It Was Charging

Post by mammothboy2 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:25 am

This tragic event surely calls for a commemorative poem in the manner of Belloc:

Lord Finchley tried to mend the Electric Light himself
It struck him dead: And serve him right!
It is the business of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan.

Hilaire Belloc
User avatar
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Posts: 1446
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:50 pm
Karma: 209
Location: Phnom Penh
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian Village Chief Died Because His iPhone Electrocuted Him While It Was Charging

Post by timmydownawell » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:08 am

It'll be a cheap/dodgy charger that was the problem. just like that Filipino chick in Sydney who died the same way (she got electrocuted through her earphones) a couple of years ago.
franzjaeger
Expatriate
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 8:32 am
Karma: 2
United States of America

Re: Cambodian Village Chief Died Because His iPhone Electrocuted Him While It Was Charging

Post by franzjaeger » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:18 pm

Yeah looks like the capacitor in the charger overloaded and sent 220v down the line.
Image
Ry_Mam
Tourist
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:24 am
Karma: 0

Re: Cambodian Village Chief Died Because His iPhone Electrocuted Him While It Was Charging

Post by Ry_Mam » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:58 pm

you cant trust none of these boot leg electronics tou buy out here.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
User avatar
General Mackevili
GONK
Posts: 14151
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:24 pm
Karma: 597
Location: The Kingdom
Contact:
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Cambodian Village Chief Died Because His iPhone Electrocuted Him While It Was Charging

Post by General Mackevili » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:28 pm

Jamie_Lambo wrote:pretty fucked up, there are so many of these stories that get shared around on facebook that always turn out to be fake, but this one actually appears to have happened?
I actually thought these stories about exploding phone chargers were bullshit, but I looked into it and it's a real problem. Although rare.
Ry_Mam wrote:you cant trust none of these boot leg electronics tou buy out here.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
Yeah, and even the new Samsung Note 7 has been recalled globally, so can hardly trust the good ones either.

This sucks because I often use my phone while it's charging and it's always next to my bed overnight on the charger, so if mine ever explodes I'm screwed.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Looking for the best deals on hotels and guesthouses in Cambodia?

Book through Agoda:

Phnom Penh
Siem Reap
Sihanoukville
Kampot
Koh Rong
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 11162
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Karma: 702
Location: Pig Penh
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: RE: Re: Cambodian Village Chief Died Because His iPhone Electrocuted Him While It Was Charging

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:05 pm

General Mackevili wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:pretty fucked up, there are so many of these stories that get shared around on facebook that always turn out to be fake, but this one actually appears to have happened?
I actually thought these stories about exploding phone chargers were bullshit, but I looked into it and it's a real problem. Although rare.
Ry_Mam wrote:you cant trust none of these boot leg electronics tou buy out here.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
Yeah, and even the new Samsung Note 7 has been recalled globally, so can hardly trust the good ones either.

This sucks because I often use my phone while it's charging and it's always next to my bed overnight on the charger, so if mine ever explodes I'm screwed.

yeah i know quite a few that have been debunked, but its something im always cautious about here with all the sparks that fly out the plug when you try plugging it in, cant be good lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Ry_Mam
Tourist
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:24 am
Karma: 0

Re: Cambodian Village Chief Died Because His iPhone Electrocuted Him While It Was Charging

Post by Ry_Mam » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:27 pm

and with these power cuts at random parts of the day and night, im told when power comes back on, it surges causing your electronics to shorten out. happened to my ps3 and my tv. Im thinking more compensation haha. sorry for that.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post