Cambodian Mom, Barang Dad and Tiger Balm

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Cambodian Mom, Barang Dad and Tiger Balm

Post by Samouth »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Some things I'm open to, but cultural differences in child rearing always appear in mixed couples (Khmer-American, Spanish-Australian, French-German etc). Couples often argue about child rearing regardless of cultural differences anyways.

Some things I can deal with and would let the mom do, but lot's of the bullshit medieval stuff I wouldn't. Scissors under the pillow? Smoke under the kid's bed? Hard boiled egg to a bump on the head? No thanks lady. Some of the medical stuff I've heard from Cambodian (usually women: seems everything is wind in your stomach) makes me laugh out loud, but some of it is downright dangerous and I wouldn't let them do it on my kid. I've never been a fan of tiger balm and pretty much never use it myself, but it's fairly low on my list of weird things Asians do. I wouldn't let her put it on a kid under 5 though.
I know that you are open to the culture difference. However I wonder if you are open to her explanation. For example, you were married to a Cambodian woman and had a kid. Would you listen to her why Cambodian put sharp stuff such as scissors under the pillow where the infant or baby sleep on.

"Hard boiled egg to bump on the head", i am not really sure about this, from what I know of and experience myself about the boiled egg. For Cambodian, when you are sick, your relative especially your mom would boil the egg and then roll the age on your body while the egg is still warm. It is believed to make you recover from your cold faster. BTW, we don't eat that egg, simply because it is not a clean egg anymore. You know what, after you rolled that boiled egg on the body a sick person, the red part of the egg become black. DIY.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
daraly
Expatriate

Post by daraly »

"Would you listen to her why Cambodian put sharp stuff such as scissors under the pillow where the infant or baby sleep on.

"Hard boiled egg to bump on the head", i am not really sure about this, from what I know of and experience myself about the boiled egg. For Cambodian, when you are sick, your relative especially your mom would boil the egg and then roll the age on your body while the egg is still warm. It is believed to make you recover from your cold faster. BTW, we don't eat that egg, simply because it is not a clean egg anymore. You know what, after you rolled that boiled egg on the body a sick person, the red part of the egg become black. DIY."

Thank you for reconfirming my faith in Western medical practices.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

daraly wrote:"Would you listen to her why Cambodian put sharp stuff such as scissors under the pillow where the infant or baby sleep on.

"Hard boiled egg to bump on the head", i am not really sure about this, from what I know of and experience myself about the boiled egg. For Cambodian, when you are sick, your relative especially your mom would boil the egg and then roll the age on your body while the egg is still warm. It is believed to make you recover from your cold faster. BTW, we don't eat that egg, simply because it is not a clean egg anymore. You know what, after you rolled that boiled egg on the body a sick person, the red part of the egg become black. DIY."

Thank you for reconfirming my faith in Western medical practices.
more western practitioners are turning to alternatives medicines, more scientists r discovering n extracting compounds from alternatives medicines ingredients such as herbs, plants, insects etc, google it, at least have faith in google
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
daraly
Expatriate

Post by daraly »

OK, you get aids go to a kru Khmer. Roll.an egg over your dick and apply tiger balm over your Sarkozi's syndrome.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

epidemiks wrote:Vicks vapour rub is commonly used for kids with cold/flu in Australia. Full of eucalyptus

Vicks is widely used in England also, used to love it
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

daraly wrote:OK, you get aids go to a kru Khmer. Roll.an egg over your dick and apply tiger balm over your Sarkozi's syndrome.
tried it, while it worked it was only a temporary solution and came back twice as worse
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: RE: Re: Cambodian Mom, Barang Dad and Tiger Balm

Post by epidemiks »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
epidemiks wrote:Vicks vapour rub is commonly used for kids with cold/flu in Australia. Full of eucalyptus

Vicks is widely used in England also, used to love it
I'll snort these medicated oils these days but used to hate vicks. Memories of flannel pyjamas, sticky ice cold vicks, just pure discomfort on top of a flu.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

daraly wrote:OK, you get aids go to a kru Khmer. Roll.an egg over your dick and apply tiger balm over your Sarkozi's syndrome.
You seem to know your way around here for a strunjer. :hattip:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

"Sarkozi's syndrome"

That was directed at Jamie, right? Just wondering?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

bolueeleh wrote:
more western practitioners are turning to alternatives medicines.....
Yeah, the ones who have been struck off the medical register. Most Western practitioners know that stuff is bunkum.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic