Nigerian Expat Caught On Video Assaulting Indian Expat Over Money in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Nigerian Expat Caught On Video Assaulting Indian Expat Over Money in Cambodia

Post by General Mackevili »

General Mackevili wrote: Personally, I don't blame you at all and it seems you're in the right here...
Boomkid wrote:If you think I am wrong for this then I have nothing else to tell you...
Are you addressing me? If you are, you clearly have comprehension problems.

I don't think any reasonable person would say you're in the wrong here.

You said you've contacted the police and filed a report against him. What did the police say?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Nigerian Expat Caught On Video Assaulting Indian Expat Over Money in Cambodia

telephoneoperator wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:
You say he's a "scammer." What's the scam here, or has he just been unable to pay?
Inability to pay *is* exactly the scam. Interesting to see some people coming out in defence of an entitled thug who likes to throw his weight around.
I don't see anyone defending him (well, maybe Jons, but he seems to think it's no big deal to not pay debts on time).

My point is I've never heard of a "SCAM" where the person gets your money/goods and then AFTERWARDS gives you cash and a computer. Have you?

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
telephoneoperator
Tourist

Post by telephoneoperator »

General Mackevili wrote:
telephoneoperator wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:
You say he's a "scammer." What's the scam here, or has he just been unable to pay?
Inability to pay *is* exactly the scam. Interesting to see some people coming out in defence of an entitled thug who likes to throw his weight around.
I don't see anyone defending him (well, maybe Jons, but he seems to think it's no big deal to not pay debts on time).

My point is I've never heard of a "SCAM" where the person gets your money/goods and then AFTERWARDS gives you cash and a computer. Have you?
To me, it seems like Harry Spice (is that even his real name?) had no intention to pay the entire sum of money owed to Kumar from day one. As Kumar has stated above, the first tranche of cash payment came through only after the first week had passed, with much effort being exerted on the part of the proprietor. After several more days, Harry decides to come over to the shop in order to deposit a "shitty old laptop" (as collateral, I assume?) and then attempts to impress upon the proprietor the dearness of the object. Kumar, apparently took custody of the laptop assuming that Harry was looking for a buyer (correct me if I'm wrong here). A month passes, and after several notifications in good faith from Kumar asking Harry to compensate him for the purchase he made several weeks ago, Harry continues to make excuses and avoids meeting Kumar. Frustrated with the lack of progress, Kumar proceeds to publicise his experience with Harry as a scam on Facebook.

scam, n., a fraudulent business scheme; a swindle.
fraud, n., a deception practiced in order to induce another to give up possession of property or surrender a right.

fraud (legal), the term 'fraud' is generally defined in the law as an intentional misrepresentation of material existing fact made by one person to another with knowledge of its falsity and for the purpose of inducing the other person to act, and upon which the other person relies with resulting injury or damage. [Fraud may also include an omission or intentional failure to state material facts, knowledge of which would be necessary to make other statements not misleading.]

Harry made a purchase with the vendor on credit promising to pay the entire sum of money. He ended up partially compensating the vendor and deposited a collateral after a week of hard dunning notices. This collateral had little to no value for Kumar. Kumar acted on the basis of a good faith belief in Harry's credit-worthiness. He went as far as sending out repeated reminders to Harry which were conveniently ignored. In fact, Harry chose to respond to the vendor as and when he found convenient, having little concern as to the state of business of the proprietor. He chose to show up only once Kumar warned him that he would expose him publicly were he not to make good on his promise of paying the remainder of the amount. As is evident from the video, Harry chose to act like a thug, a low-life, a bottom-feeder and a common criminal assaulting the proprietor in front of his wife and another family member.

Harry's actions seem to fit well within the definition of "fraud" reproduced above. In addition to this, he also ought to be charged with battery and criminal assault. Not only should he be made to pay the remainder of the sum owed to Kumar, he should be made to compensate Kumar for the injuries (both mental and physical) suffered as a result of this assault. Once these debts have been settled, he ought to be deported to his home country.
telephoneoperator
Tourist

General Mackevili wrote:
Simplified:

Person A makes a down-payment of 30% to Person B in order to dishonestly induce delivery of property with no intention of paying the remainder of the sum due to B, or while being aware of their inability to make good on their promise.

How is that not fraud?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Nigerian Expat Caught On Video Assaulting Indian Expat Over Money in Cambodia

telephoneoperator wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:
Simplified:

Person A makes a down-payment of 30% to Person B in order to dishonestly induce delivery of property with no intention of paying the remainder of the sum due to B, or while being aware of their inability to make good on their promise.

How is that not fraud?
Again, a "down-payment" is given BEFORE the goods are delivered.

If my understanding of this story is correct, he gave NOTHING at the time of purchase, and only after the flight gave the $100 and the computer. AFTER the ticket had already been received and used.

So there was no "down-payment."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
telephoneoperator
Tourist

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Nigerian Expat Caught On Video Assaulting Indian Expat Over Money in Cambodia

General Mackevili wrote:
Again, a "down-payment" is given BEFORE the goods are delivered.

If my understanding of this story is correct, he gave NOTHING at the time of purchase, and only after the flight gave the $100 and the computer. AFTER the ticket had already been received and used.

So there was no "down-payment."
Yes, indeed, there was no down-payment in Kumar's case. The point above is only an example, with similar circumstances, where the vendor was only partially compensated for their services (point of similitude).

In addition to this, Harry's behaviour, subsequent to the purchase, where he purposefully ignored calls and messages from the vendor, demonstrates that he was not being honest.

More importantly, an honest person would not choose to viciously assault their benefactor who extended them ready credit without additional obligations.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

telephoneoperator wrote:
How is that not fraud?
And unless you know something more about this story than the rest of us, it is NOT fraud to end up behind in payments or to default on your debts.

Unless it can be proven that you never had plans to pay from the beginning, of course, and that's different.

All I'm saying is that people who are doing a SCAM would not typically hand over ANY cash or goods to the person they just successfully scammed. Like you said, they would typically give small amounts to show in good faith beforehand, but why hand over cash and a computer AFTER a successful scam?

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
telephoneoperator
Tourist

General Mackevili wrote:
telephoneoperator wrote:
How is that not fraud?
And unless you know something more about this story than the rest of us, it is NOT fraud to end up behind in payments or to default on your debts.

Unless it can be proven that you never had plans to pay from the beginning, of course, and that's different.

All I'm saying is that people who are doing a SCAM would not typically hand over ANY cash or goods to the person they just successfully scammed. Like you said, they would typically give small amounts to show in good faith beforehand, but why hand over cash and a computer AFTER a successful scam?
While the fact that he handed over some cash and a tangible good of some value after availing of the vendor's services may be of material relevance to this case, the more important fact is that he misrepresented his ability to service the debt he would owe to the vendor after being in receipt of the vendor's services. This is evident from his subsequent actions where he wilfully ignored Kumar's multiple requests to make good on his promises for an extended period of time.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Nigerian Expat Caught On Video Assaulting Indian Expat Over Money in Cambodia

^ Yeah, that I can agree with.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Nigerian Expat Caught On Video Assaulting Indian Expat Over Money in Cambodia

Post by bolueeleh »

not following this thread, shldnt this thread be dead by now, guys punches another in the face, guy goes to jail, end of story, period
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic