Willy's Jeep

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Willy's Jeep

Post by StroppyChops »

Is it still possible to get hold of a decent, licensed Willy's Jeep? Haven't seen any in PP, which surprises me - or is that just insensitive?

I did see that mad Russian's hummer again today though.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Sohi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Willy's Jeep

Post by Sohi »

The Chinese version is quite common, not seen a real USA one tho...
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

some old jeeps with newish toyota engines in them around.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Any of them ever come up for sale?
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Frequently. But be warned they ride like shit and generally don't have working 4wd.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Cheers, OD
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Most of the American Jeeps I see in Snooky are the newer Wrangler. They are very popular in the states thus the resale price is very high. Because of the road tax being based on CCs, all that I have seen have been 4cyl models. I talking to my nephew in the States who is a school trained auto mechanic and he said stay away from the 4 cyl wranglers as the engine is sh*t. They make a 6 cyl one that is just about bullet proof. If you see one with a diesel or Toyota motor here, odds are that the original 4-cyl bit the big one.

In the past I've owned a 1945 MB2A jeep (ex-military), a CJ5 with a Chev V-8 (very dangerous, but fun to drive) , and a CJ7. They are a really great car/truck, but have a couple of small quirks, the main one being that the wheel base is so short if your going at any speed and have to swerve/brake to avoid an obstacle (like a cambo container truck driven by a drunk/stoned driver on hwy#4) it tends to want to roll over. This may be why they all have full roll cages now. If you can get one with a winch on the front that's just that much more iron if a Cambo driver decides to head on you.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

^ I've pretty much always driven Landcruisers (that whole outback thing) but Mrs Stroppy had a short wheel base Isuzu MU with a 2ltr turbo diesel when we first got together. Man, that thing was fun - but it's one great sin was that the back end liked to come around on you without provocation. This thing insisted on cruising at 140km/hr regardless of your intentions, which was always hairy at roo o'clock.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Strop, I understand the attraction to Willy's Jeeps as my step father was an avid restorer years ago, he always having to extend his garage to make space for the next project. He had a total of eight complete restorations in the end. My favorite being an old Willy's (1936 possibly?) truck/ute with original gun racks affixed against the inside back wall of the cab. Similar to the one below.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic