The Coffee Saga

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

The Coffee Saga

Post by vladimir »

So the wifey was sick last night, so no iced coffee this morning. I need my fix, and like a naive fool, I ride off into the sunrise thinking that this will be an easy task in a country saturated with coffee sellers...LOGIC...FAIL!

Stop 1. I ask them if they have iced coffee (in Khmer). Yes, no problem. They are busy, so I wait maybe 10 minutes. Eventually, the owner comes out to check my order...repeat. 5 minutes later he emerges with pork and rice. I clarify, biting my tongue and reminding myself about the blood pressure. He scuttles back in and emerges again with a Coke. I depart.

Stop 2. I ask them if they have iced coffee (in Khmer). Yes, no problem. They stand and stare at me. I ask again...more staring, one scuttles off to find an English linguist. She merges. I ask again. Yes, yes, we have. She goes into the back of the store and comes out with a packet of instant coffee. I ask again, no, we don't sell. I ride off, the pressure is building...

Stop 3. I ask them if they have iced coffee (in Khmer). Yes, no problem. They bring me a cup of hot coffee with amazing rapidity. I explain I want iced coffee;'Cannot'. My knuckles whiten on the handlebar, my teeth clench, yet still by some miracle I do not dismember the messenger on the spot. I ride off.

Stop 4. I ask them if they have iced coffee (in Khmer). Yes, no problem. They go into the back, and bring me an iced coffee...in a glass. I explain that I am on a bike (just in case they hadn't noticed) and they scramble back apologetically to give it to me in a plastic cup and one of those plastic holders. It arrives. There is no cover for the cup. I explain again that I am on a bike, and I need the cover for the cup. Ot mien...my BP is now about 300/200. The waitress scuttles off to find one at another coffee shop down the road. I ma saying repeatedly, 'Thou shalt not murder, thou shalt not murder...'
10 minutes later, she returns with the cover.

I have my coffee!

Do not ask me how they built Angkor Wat, I have no fecking idea.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The Coffee Saga

Post by Joon »

Amusing story and noble quest and all, but where the heck are you hanging out?
In most market areas, there are plenty of well prepared coffee drinks sellers, and even on the major roads there are coffee pushcarts and the easy-to-spot Ueda coffee tuk-tuks (though I don't know what the coffee is worth).
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

This was on 271.

Never again.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

Joon wrote:Amusing story and noble quest and all, but where the heck are you hanging out?
In most market areas, there are plenty of well prepared coffee drinks sellers, and even on the major roads there are coffee pushcarts and the easy-to-spot Ueda coffee tuk-tuks (though I don't know what the coffee is worth).
Much of which may be "coffee" in name only and rather the industrial Viet soy product which put our old friend Akira out of the coffee business.
Using Tapatalk
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

Thanks, vlad, for my first Wednesday morning laugh!
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

At many of the local coffee shops i find the iced coffee (or whatever it is) to be pretty disgusting. Way too strong and sweet.

If i run out of the Nescafe packets at home I prefer to stop at the minimart for the small canned coffee drinks.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

Buy beans. Premium Lao $7/kilo

"additives used to turn soy beans into coffee-like beans, which include coffee flavorings, foam-making substance Sodium Lauryl Sulfate mainly used to make shampoo or dish-soap, industrial color powders and Carboxymethyl Cellulose (CMC), can contain impurities and heavy metals like mercury and lead, which may lead to cancers if used for a long time.

Doctor Tran Van Ky warned that the abuse of the antibiotic Chloramphenicol can poison human livers, bone marrow and kidneys, while chemical sugar Sodium Cyclamate, which is 50 times sweeter than normal sugar, can bring users cancers or Down syndrome.

A veteran fake coffee producer in suburban HCMC, who wanted to be identified as T. only, used 15 types of chemicals for his "special coffee." 

http://thanhniennews.com/society/coffee ... -5604.html
Using Tapatalk
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

Probably a stupid question, but does this coffee by-product contain caffeine?

And since it's made of soy, shall we sell it to hippies?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Joon wrote:Amusing story and noble quest and all, but where the heck are you hanging out?
Seriously. I can wander around in little provincial towns and land an iced coffee with my shitty khmer mixed with some english and sign language with more success than this quixotic tale, lol.

Granted... I was looking for an auto parts store.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

JBTrain wrote:... chemical sugar Sodium Cyclamate, which is 50 times sweeter than normal sugar, can bring users cancers or Down syndrome.
LoL, nothing can cause you to catch/develop Down Syndrome.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic