Australian Female Kristy Anne Blackney Found Dead in Kampot River By Owner of Arcadia Backpackers

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Australian Female Kristy Anne Blackney Found Dead in Kampot River By Owner of Arcadia Backpackers

Post by Anchor Moy »

LTO wrote:
bolueeleh wrote:whats the deal with all the drowning and drugs deaths? dont ppl die normally anymore? like pneumonia?
Not in Kampot at 24 years old.
Nightime swimming = drowning in the river at Kampot too often. Usually young and fit victims, but probably had one too many and there's no one there to save them. RIP.
LTO
Expatriate

Re: Australian Female Kristy Anne Blackney Found Dead in Kampot River By Owner of Arcadia Backpackers

Post by LTO »

Anchor Moy wrote:
LTO wrote:
bolueeleh wrote:whats the deal with all the drowning and drugs deaths? dont ppl die normally anymore? like pneumonia?
Not in Kampot at 24 years old.
Nightime swimming = drowning in the river at Kampot too often. Usually young and fit victims, but probably had one too many and there's no one there to save them. RIP.
Hate to speculate too much with the family perhaps reading, but yeah, that sounds about right. Sure not the first and won't be the last there.

Are there any internet boards or groups in Kampot that allow this sort of info to be posted, something that gives newbies a little headsup, or is it all just a happy happy free for all down there?
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
doktor_d
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by doktor_d »

General Mackevili wrote:Would that be the tattoo she got in Thailand? Looks like it says "...DKK."

What could that be?

RIP
I actually think it looks like "DICK" written with a marker.. maybe friends joking around while drinking the night before or something.. Either way, sad to see someone go so young in such a way. RIP.
Alcohol is necessary so that a man can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Australian Female Kristy Anne Blackney Found Dead in Kampot River By Owner of Arcadia Backpackers

Post by General Mackevili »

doktor_d wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:Would that be the tattoo she got in Thailand? Looks like it says "...DKK."

What could that be?

RIP
I actually think it looks like "DICK" written with a marker.. maybe friends joking around while drinking the night before or something.. Either way, sad to see someone go so young in such a way. RIP.
Ah, it does look like that. Glad to realize it's probably not a tattoo. I guess she was only in the water over night, so wouldn't rub off.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Australian Female Kristy Anne Blackney Found Dead in Kampot River By Owner of Arcadia Backpackers

Post by General Mackevili »

LTO wrote:
Are there any internet boards or groups in Kampot that allow this sort of info to be posted, something that gives newbies a little headsup, or is it all just a happy happy free for all down there?
There is a Kampot Crime Noticeboard, but not sure if it belongs there.

A shame the regular noticeboard won't highlight important issues like this.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

General Mackevili wrote:
LTO wrote:
There is a Kampot Crime Noticeboard, but not sure if it belongs there.

A shame the regular noticeboard won't highlight important issues like this.
Agreed. This sort of information should be available in order to help give people what they need to make good choices.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Unfortunately the most popular, Kampot Noticeboard, and other Kampot relevant Facebook pages tend to axe any post that may portray a negative image of Kampot, even though the page is aimed mainly at expats living there. People deserve to know, and not everyone living there goes to the pub daily to find out the local goss.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

People who are conscious normally don't let friends write crude stuff on them with marker.
Tlo
Tourist

Post by Tlo »

Hey all,
The girl in this article is my beloved sister, I've come searching on the internet for answers on the cause of her death. Currently I'm in nepal and have very little access to internet and contact with my family, other than a Facebook call from my father informing me of her death. If anyone can help or was in the area at the time I'd feel better knowing what happened to her ('drowning' doesn't suffice knowing her excellent swimming ability).

Also in response to one presumptuous individual: no she does not come from a rich family, she lived in toorak with some friends over 2 years ago- in fact our family struggles financially, she saved up for this trip herself working in hospitality.

Thanks to those for your kind words, the family found out only a few hours after the discovery of her body, we are truly devastated :(

I love you kristy
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Hello tlo, Sorry for your loss. Think that your best bet to find out what happened is to contact the Arcadia Guesthouse owner in Kampot. According to the reports he was the one who found your sister, and also he will probably be able to put you in contact with any friends she had at the guesthouse.
This is their email: [email protected]
http://arcadiabackpackers.com/contact/

The forums are not always a good news source for the family when people die in Cambodia. The information comes from Khmer media and the descriptions are often crude and the photos are horrible. They are not always accurate either. Just to warn you.

All the best, if that's possible. Hope you manage to get some information from the Arcadia.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic