Timezones?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Timezones?

Post by OrangeDragon »

Almost put this in tech... but I figure it's pretty general as well.

What's the difference, generally on a computer or device, in the timezones that are all the same +whatever or -whatever. I get that in the US it could have daylight savings impact as some do and some don't within the same +/-... but why in parts of the world where no ones does that dumb shit?

Currently my desktop is (UTC + 07:00) Bangkok, Hanoi, Jakarta... but I also have the option for (UTC + 07:00) Krasnoyarsk. What's special about Krasnoyarsk?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Timezones?

Post by StroppyChops »

Best of my knowledge, there is no technical difference in timestamp for cities on the same timeline - it's purely human. I'll stand corrected, but I don't think (at least in a Windows environment) there's any relationship between the timezone and the regional settings, if that's your question.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

If I change the time, on my android iphone, I'm asked if my location is changed.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

StroppyChops wrote:Best of my knowledge, there is no technical difference in timestamp for cities on the same timeline - it's purely human. I'll stand corrected, but I don't think (at least in a Windows environment) there's any relationship between the timezone and the regional settings, if that's your question.
My real question was if their treatment of time is different? Something like the daylight savings mess in the US? Seemed the only thing that would make sense as to why to have a different entry in the same timeline point.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

OrangeDragon wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:Best of my knowledge, there is no technical difference in timestamp for cities on the same timeline - it's purely human. I'll stand corrected, but I don't think (at least in a Windows environment) there's any relationship between the timezone and the regional settings, if that's your question.
My real question was if their treatment of time is different? Something like the daylight savings mess in the US? Seemed the only thing that would make sense as to why to have a different entry in the same timeline point.
No, other than for the very few countries that use DLS, it's to keep various populations 'included' and therefore happy.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

I always thought it was to cater to people in those cities who were too dumb to pick another city in their time zone.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

giblet wrote:I always thought it was to cater to people in those cities who were too dumb to pick another city in their time zone.
Or those that don't know what their UTC offset is, or (for example) they're on Taipei time.
indigo_design
Expatriate

Post by indigo_design »

UTC stands for Coordinted Universal Time

I had to Google that...
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

indigo_design wrote:UTC stands for Coordinted Universal Time

I had to Google that...
I know a kiwi panel beater who could get those dints right out for you...

Speaking of which, what's a Hindu?
Ut lays iggs, bro.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

personally i like China;
one time zone
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic