hotel/hostel with backup power, etc. in siem reap

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: hotel/hostel with backup power, etc. in siem reap

Post by vladimir »

hanno wrote:After a disastrous 5-day power outage a few years ago, most guesthouses no have generators.
Jesus, what grammar!

It's 'no hab', bro!
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

vladimir wrote:
hanno wrote:After a disastrous 5-day power outage a few years ago, most guesthouses no have generators.
Jesus, what grammar!

It's 'no hab', bro!
Oooops.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

jmap wrote:wow five days, I imagined that would have been a nightmare..

So if most guesthouses have backup power now (even the ones 2km away form town?) I guess I should concentrate my search on which ones give the most consistent wifi signal, has upper floors (for better sim signal?) pool (or near one) and allow me to cook.

It seems pubstreet will be very noisy (for work) so will most likely search accommodation a little away from there.

How about serviced apartments? are there enough of them around? I assumed they also have their own backup power? Any of them offering short term accommodations or do most require 6 months to a year?

Any recommendations? personal experiences? thanks.
Luckily, I lived in a hotel at the time but it was pretty rough.

Wifi and Sim signals are generally very good. There are very few serviced apartments and I am not sure which guesthouse will let you cook. I can ask around though.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

$500 a month would surely get you somewhere with a balcony, hell even a nice house, plenty of second hand petrol gennies for about $150 for a 3500. I paid $500 for a new Honda 7000. Power cuts a plenty here
jmap
Expatriate

Post by jmap »

hanno wrote:Luckily, I lived in a hotel at the time but it was pretty rough.

Wifi and Sim signals are generally very good. There are very few serviced apartments and I am not sure which guesthouse will let you cook. I can ask around though.
Thank you so much for the offer. Its still a few months till we get there so I'll try to scour the web first and when I'm not confident enough yet I'll contact you. We're also now considering pp so most likely will be sort of splitting our time between them (and sihanoukville) Thanks!
jmap
Expatriate

Post by jmap »

cptrelentless wrote:$500 a month would surely get you somewhere with a balcony, hell even a nice house, plenty of second hand petrol gennies for about $150 for a 3500. I paid $500 for a new Honda 7000. Power cuts a plenty here
It seems $500 now is a little over the top for our needs. I'll stick to my $300 budget then as much as possible. I really dont like to do the whole generator thingie on my own hahaha.. better to have somebody else do all that. Thanks..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic